Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Shoot High when Elevated >

Shoot High when Elevated

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shoot High when Elevated

Old 07-13-2011, 05:22 AM
Spike

Default Shoot High when Elevated

Ive never had this issue until I switched bows a few years back, but when I'm in a tree stand, particularly at 25 YDS and less, I tend to shoot considerably higher (8" or so) than when on the ground. Its extremely evident at shots in 10 yd range when the downward angle is really high. I'm curious if others have had this issue and corrected it with a simple adjustment to form or something. Thanks in advance
Old 07-13-2011, 05:37 AM
Typical Buck

i was always told inside 20 yards to aim low, about an inch from the bottom. i thought this was stupid so i tested it out shooting from my second story window, i aimed at the center bull and put 3 into basically the top side of my block.

EDIT: but im sure how low you aim is determined by the angle, 85% of our sets are 20 feet high just to give you a bit of a visual. hope this helps
Old 07-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Spike

While 8in seems a bit extreme, yes, you will have to aim low whether your target is below or above you in elevation. We tend to measure distance from our eyeball to the target, which will be longer than the straight horizontal distance if we are above or below it. If you were 20 ft in a tree on level ground, a deer that appeared to be 20 yards from you would actually be at just under 19 yards, so the distance is negligible, and decreases the further out you go. Under 10 yards it can be significant, but aiming slightly low, an inch or two, should compensate plenty. As high as you are hitting from elevation though, I suspect a form issue. Just be sure to keep your anchor consistent and bend at the waist rather than the neck or back.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't drop your bow arm to the target. Get to full draw with the arrow parallel to the ground. Maintain your normal anchor point. Bend at the waist to bring the bow on target.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

Last year, (granted it was a crossbow so I don't know if the same mechanics apply but I would assume they do), I shot my deer at about ten yards, and I thought the shot was perfect, but it was about two inches high. Whether or not it was me or what youre talking about, I don't know, but it's worth mentioning.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Exactly what norby said. You must maintain your same anchor and bend at the waist. This will give you the same triangulation between your anchor, peep and front sight.