HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Arrow Rest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/346222-arrow-rest.html)

iayotehunter 06-29-2011 11:09 AM

Arrow Rest

I just bought a "new" bow and was wondering what type of arrow rest people recommend. I am fairly new to archery and this will be my first year bow hunting. I like the whisker biscuit style rest bet have been told they tear up the fletching. Any suggestions would help.

ryndisher 06-29-2011 01:48 PM

If you want the best of the best get a QAD ULTRA REST HD. Most people these days use dropaway arrow rests, although you need some knowledge to properly set it up.

kathomps 06-29-2011 08:43 PM

I personally would not recommend a drop away rest. I would definitely get a whisker biscuit just for sheer convenience. When you look at most drop aways that dont cost an arm and a leg, you can easily tell that the arrow would fall out if you held the bow at more than 90 degrees (some rests can hold the arrow at a greater angle than others). On the other hand with a whisker biscuit, you can turn your bow at any angle and the arrow will never fall out. I like having a biscuit because I know I can get out of my stand if I want to and do a stalk, which may involve crawling or maneuvering my bow at odd angles, and know my bow will be completely ready to shoot when I need to. O, and you can go pick one up for 30 bucks or so or theres probably cheaper online. As far as the fletchings go, I would think as long as you dont have feather fletchings, you will be just fine. I have rubbery plastic type fletchings and theres no problem whatsoever.

bronko22000 06-30-2011 08:06 AM

Baloney! I wish people would not give advice without the knowledge or experience of use to back up their statements. Get a drop away. I've been shooting bows for about 55 years and shot all types of rests. The drop away style will give you the best accuracy. Set up is as easy as any other rest. I have installed these rests and had bows shooting field tips and broadheads to the same POI in less than 1/2 hour. And the ones with the arrow containment systems will hold your arrow in place (unless you turn your bow upside down which would never happen). The actual "V" rest for the arrow is wide enough that it will pick up the arrow anywhere within in the containment ring and will center it as you draw. Other designs like the Ripcord type you can c0ck prior to drawing and have a containment bar to hold the arrow in place. I went from a whisker biscuit to a NAP Apache drop away and my groups shrank about 25%. The Apache will cost you about $60 which will not break you and should last you the life of the bow or longer. It is quiet, solidly built and has toolless adjustments. There are also plenty of other good drop aways with this same design. But these may cost you a few more $.

The Rev 06-30-2011 08:33 AM

I agree the drop away is by far the best arrow rest. If you like a full containment rest, try the Nap Apache, it's a drop away with containment, and cost about what the W.B does.

3Children 06-30-2011 10:27 AM

Limb Driver, QAD Hd, or LD, NAP Apache are some of the best rest out there. Some of these offer full containment. As a shop owner, I install a lot of these with no problems. The wb is a thing of the past. Most are going away from it. I did say most!!
Pat

AKHunterNP 07-16-2011 04:20 AM

whisker buiscut will mess up your vanes or fletching. Try a hostage or NAP 360 if you want arrow containment.