Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
New guy - can you help with my form? (w/video) >

New guy - can you help with my form? (w/video)

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New guy - can you help with my form? (w/video)

Old 06-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Spike

Default New guy - can you help with my form? (w/video)

I got my first compound a few months back, and I love it, but seem to be struggling with my form, and especially my draw length.

I am a fairly tall guy - about 6'1", and based on fingertip measurements, my draw length should be about 29.5". When I first got this, I had the draw set at 29".

After shooting a month or so, it didn't feel right so I took it back in. The guy helping me observed my form and re-set the draw at 27.5." I know among other things, the peep site was also riding a bit high, so he helped me adjust it down. I asked him why if my measurement should have me at 29.5 did he take it down, and his explanation was that the tip to tip should be more of a rule of thumb. Different people have different dimensions between body parts, such as face to fingertips, neck length, etc.

Since then, it just doesn't feel right to me. That could be becuase I started getting used to it at the longer draw.

Anyways, I took a couple videos today to see if I could get some feedback. The first video is what I believe to be the correct form and anchor points on my body with the draw at 27.5.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY7nUDUSdm0

I tried to take a second set. In the second set my left arm is more extended, which is what my inclination tells me it should be. I mean, it is still off the strings, but is straighter. When I made the videos, I was hoping the difference in how straight/non straight my bow arm is would be easier to see. Maybe I need to take some more from more of a frontal angle.

Anyways, so in the second set, I also hope the difference in anchor point would also be obvious, but not sure it is. Obviously if I move my bow arm straighter it should move the anchor on my face.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOTXCHFgnFM

If anyone can offer some advice, I'd sure appreciate it, not just with draw length but anything else. My instinct tells me my bow arm needs to be straighter, but just don't know. Clearly, I need to get it set pretty quick so I can settle in and fine tune my form before deer season.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

Looks to me in both vid that your anchor point maybe a bit high but in the 2nd vid u tend to tilt your head down to see through the peep. Also you are griping the bow instead of cradling it in your left had. When you draw the bow you should be able to draw straight back and see through the peep. You shouldnt have to tilt your head at all and just relax when you shoot. And draw does seem a little short also. Your local archery shop should have a bow and arrow used for measuring draw length if not measure from the center of your chest to the tips of your fingers on your left hand and devide that by 2.5 and that should get u close to the draw length you need to be
Old 06-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

I didn't look at the video because I know the dl is too short. I will try to post some pics up on form. Mainly your nose should just touch your nose, on some short bows this is a problem, but..... The way you anchor is your choice but has to be solid so if someone ask where do you anchor, you should be able to tell them. A kisser will help new people/shooters, and the peep should be whereas when you draw with eyes closed, set anchor, now open your eyes and the peep should be right there. Your stance is such as the feet spread a foot apart, and with the bow shoulder facing the target. When shooting, or holding a level shot the shoulders should be in line from the wrist of the bow arm to the elbow on the string arm, and your body should be straight. If I draw a line both ways, the two lines when crossed should be 90 degrees to each other, forming a cross. Hope I helped!
Pat
Attached Thumbnails New guy - can you help with my form? (w/video)-holding-form.jpg   New guy - can you help with my form? (w/video)-proper-form.jpg   New guy - can you help with my form? (w/video)-proper-hand-position.jpg