Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Flatten trajectory >

Flatten trajectory

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Flatten trajectory

Old 04-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Flatten trajectory

I am shooting a 2001 PSE Nova 70lb but it's bottomed out. The string was replaced in November before I began shooting the bow. I am shooting Gold Tip XTHunter 5575 at 30 inches with 125 grain points. I sighted in at 15 yards, but then when I moved back to 25-30 yards, the pin is so low that I can't set the last 2. Is there any way to flatten it out so I can increase my effective range?
Old 04-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jicand
I am shooting a 2001 PSE Nova 70lb but it's bottomed out. The string was replaced in November before I began shooting the bow. I am shooting Gold Tip XTHunter 5575 at 30 inches with 125 grain points. I sighted in at 15 yards, but then when I moved back to 25-30 yards, the pin is so low that I can't set the last 2. Is there any way to flatten it out so I can increase my effective range?
Yes, lower your anchor and raise your peep sight accordingly if you use one. This has been gone over so many times that this is all I'm going to say on the subject.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can also use a lighter point.I use Magnus 100gr Stingers.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are a quite a few changes to increase speed. Lighter tip, one step down in arrow weight, fewer strand string and shorter control cables will increase speed, but be careful not to overdue it. Each item will not only increase speed but also increase the stress on your limbs and riser. My suggestion would be to invest in a set of limbs that will satisfy your speed issues.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

listen to Bigfisher, IMHO I think's an anchor problem and not a speed or arrowweight problem.
You could try and post a pic of you, sideways on full draw, one body shot and one close up of your face and hand.

Then we might see what has to change or what you are doing wrong

F
Old 05-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

Something that doesn't look right is the spine of the arrow you are shooting. With that length and draw weight you should be shooting a .340 spine or higher. That is a long arrow, is that your draw length? Follow what Fisher has stated or do a search on here and learn more.
Pat
Old 06-01-2011, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 3Children
Something that doesn't look right is the spine of the arrow you are shooting. With that length and draw weight you should be shooting a .340 spine or higher. That is a long arrow, is that your draw length? Follow what Fisher has stated or do a search on here and learn more.
Pat
I agree that his arrow spine is to light. He should probably be shooting a 7595 (340 spine) or better yet a 300 spine, but this isn't going to help with his point of impact at such short ranges. It should, however, help with better grouping at longer ranges, especially with broadheads.

I'd even go so far as to say at that length the 5575 (400 spine) is too light even if he backed the bow off to 65#. Good that you caught this, though.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

Buy a Mathews Monster
Old 06-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say you don't have a trajectory problem. Take a look at your bow and make sure the arrow is square with the string and the rest is adjusted so the berger hole is centered or aligned with your arrow. If your knock is too high, you will have trouble sighting in and the pins will be bottomed out at the bottom of the sight window. Once you get that looking good, paper tune to be sure you are getting good arrow flight out of the bow and then sight in after that.