Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Gotta' crazy question for you... >

Gotta' crazy question for you...

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Gotta' crazy question for you...

Old 02-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default Gotta' crazy question for you...

Will a compound bow shoot underwater?
If so....do you think I could get at least 10 yards out of it?
How accurate?
Will the chlorine hurt the bow?

I need to film some "unique" archery footage and I thought why not throw on my scuba gear and give it a go....

Wow...I need to lay off the cough medicine
Old 02-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

i think it would shoot,i dont know if you would get 10yards out of it, maybe in a rainbow trajectory.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

That really is a crazy question. I don't think you would get much out of it. Reason I think is that the stroke (draw) isn't long enough and the arrow isn't heavy enough. If you look at a speargun, it uses a heavy 'rubber band' with a fairly long 'draw' and a heavy alum or fiberglass spear. And those individuals usually are very close to the target.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

I have read a few articles in Primitive archery, where folks made real strong stort (30-40") longbows to do some fishing while snorkling.

It works, and defiantely puts an arrow 10ft.

There would be no mechnical reason you couldn't do it. And it would be safe, other than water in your cams, etc.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

You won't get much out of it, did you ask the same question over at bow.fishingcountry? Their general thought was that the drag from the string in the water would make the arrow peter out.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Spike

A Mathews should work fine out to a 1000 yards. All others will probably not clear the string.LOL. Sorry I couldn't resist this stupid post I just made and I thought I was on the AT site LOL.

Last edited by blackoak; 03-01-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Spike

There is some video of Howard Hill shooting underwater. He was shooting a longbow and added some rubber bands like the ones on spear guns.

I'm pretty sure the clorine wouldn't be a good thing for your bow. It might be ok if you oiled it up pretty good before and cleaned it good after. But I wouldn't do it to a bow I planned to keep.

Let us know it works if you decide to do it.

Allen
Old 04-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

haha
This question cracked me up! Like everyone else said I dont think you will get much out of it but who knows!? I have never heard of a compound being shot under water!?
Good Luck!

-South
Old 04-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

I know it is a crazy idea....that is why I thought I would try it. If it failed, maybe I'd at least get "creativity points"