Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Matching Fletchings to Broadheads >

Matching Fletchings to Broadheads

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Matching Fletchings to Broadheads

Old 04-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Spike

Question Matching Fletchings to Broadheads

Recently had someone tell me that they matched their fletchings to their broadheads. I was just wondering if anyone else had an opinion on this practice?
Old 04-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's OK if you want to be that particular but there is no advantage to it other than psychological. I'm not quite that particular, but I do like all my broadheads placed the same just for consistency, usually with one blade up.

Think about it. It's really a dumb statement to make. If you shoot a 4 blade head with 3 fletched arrows how in the world do you align the blades with the fletching? Or 4 fletches with 3 blades?

Of more importance is using arrows with less spine deviation between them. Most carbon arrows are wrapped and where the last layer end is usually the stiffest part of the arrow Finding this seam and fletching accordingly yields better accuracy overall, but more so with blades up front.

Little things like broadhead alignment concentric with the shaft & nock fit to the string are more important than aligning blades with fletching.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

Makes no difference at all broadheads will fly great if you do ur homework and get bow set up properly
Old 04-05-2011, 04:29 AM
Spike

Default Matching fletchings to broadheads

Thanks for the insight, how about some tips on setting up my bow properly?
Old 04-05-2011, 05:42 AM
Typical Buck

ive seen several videos and articles where they propose the same thing, matching the broadhead to the vane. In regards to what BG was saying, how do you match 3 blade to 4 vane and vice versa.....some of the articles proposed you only buy matching outfits. Im not advocating any of this, just relaying what ive seen.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hunter2012
Thanks for the insight, how about some tips on setting up my bow properly?
Easton Maintenance and Tuning Guide. It will have about all the info you can need for now. It tells about initial setup of a bow and several methods of tuning, including broadhead tuning.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:55 AM
Typical Buck

Played that game for years. I'd set em up and mark the ones that were spot on for accuracy. Then I noticed most times it was the ones that weren't exactly lined up fletching to broad head. I'm sure it made not much difference but I eventually figured out it didn't matter if they were a little off or a lot it had to do with the arrow it's self. I had one arrow that had been through two animals and still shot accurate I finally bent it during a practice session and was all sad. Haha. I shot XX78's and have recently gone to a new bow and carbons. But the result using carbons with the fletching lined up with the broad head has been the same for me.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hunter, you want some good tips? Read the "don't stop at walk back" post on here. Then go to Easton web site and download their tuning guide. Follow it and you will get your bow tuned perfectly.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

No need to match fletchings to broadheads that is BS. Tune the bow as best you can for best results. Truth is most people can't shoot as good as the bow shoots.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lining them up is an old wives tale. It doesn't matter . Like said i shoot 4 blade with 3 blazers. so how am i going to line up 4 with 3 ? On a 3 blade you could if you like or you think it just look s cool but it doen't effect flight