Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
consistent groups >

consistent groups

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

consistent groups

Old 03-24-2011, 07:00 AM
Spike

Default consistent groups

any advice on how that i can shoot consistent groups and gradually get my groups smaller and any other advice on the mechanics of shooting?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Pratice!!! Being consistant with groups means being consistant with everything, your arrows all the same, your anchor, form, release, stance, and even your thoughts. If you are thinking of not hitting the center of where you want the arrow to hit, it will do just that!! There is no short cuts, pratice!
Old 03-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Spike

okay i have been practicing for quite some time. i mean i am shooting 6 inch groups at 60 yards but im not satisfied. its like that i cant break through some kind of wall. more than likely im not going to take a shot at a turkey or whitetail past 40 yards but you never know when you will have to.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jgarrett451
okay i have been practicing for quite some time. i mean i am shooting 6 inch groups at 60 yards but im not satisfied. its like that i cant break through some kind of wall. more than likely im not going to take a shot at a turkey or whitetail past 40 yards but you never know when you will have to.
WOW.. 6 inch groups @ 60 yards is pretty good! I would definately take a shot at 60 if I was confident it would hit within 6 inches. To me it sounds more like a confidence thing to you. Be confident that you can hit and take the shot. Everyone is going to skip a shot out of their "circle" no matter what the distance, but to me, its confidence of getting it within your comfort "circle" that make the difference. I aim small at anything within 40 ( 2" circle) 40 to 60 its a 4 inch circle... and will confidently take a shot at those ranges. Aim small, Miss small is a great motivator for me.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default It isn't sold with the bow

It depends how calm you can become, shooting the bow. It depends on your practice. It depends on doing your shooting, the same way, over and over. It depends on your eyesite.

The inability to shoot accurately, can turn a $900 bow into a piece of junk.

And all of the preceding I've mentioned, isn't sold with the bow.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting 6" groups at 60 yards while on the practice range, while good, is not the same as being able to do so in a hunting situation. Adrenalin makes the brain go dead. The body gets the shakes. It might be cold and/or windy out. You have on heavier clothes. The animal can move while the arrow is in flight. There are lots of things that can happen, and probably will to mess up the shot.

You make a statement that "you never know when you will have to". You never "have to". You don't even have to take close shots. You are given a brain to help you make decisions. What decision you make is something you have to make. There is no such thing as "have to".

I would imagine as you get more years of hunting under your belt and experience with bowhunting you'll come to the realization that bowhunting is a close range sport and you'll learn this and choose your shots accordingly.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Spike

thanks guys that really helps. and yes its more of a confidence thing. i mean this is my 2nd year of bowhunting and im still pretty green. I missed a buck last fall and it killed me. so i practiced and practiced and practiced. still to this day my confidence hasnt raised at all.
PS. the buck i missed was the biggest buck i had ever seen. 135" or better
Old 03-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks guys that really helps. and yes its more of a confidence thing. i mean this is my 2nd year of bowhunting and im still pretty green. I missed a buck last fall and it killed me. so i practiced and practiced and practiced. still to this day my confidence hasnt raised at all.
PS. the buck i missed was the biggest buck i had ever seen. 135" or better
At what distance was the miss? Never consider a miss as bad. It's better than wounding due to shooting beyond your acceptable accuracy limit.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot almost all year long (weather permitting). I shoot from 20 - 60 yds in 10 yd increments to verify my sights are set properly. I normally practice at 40 yds regularly and can keep my arrows in a 3" circle. Now, knowing what I am capable of is half the battle when it comes to shooting at game. BG is right about the adreneline thing. But it is all the practice during preseason that puts you into 'autopilot'. And although I am confident out to 40 or 50 yds, you will not see me shooting at a deer past 25 yds. You shooting 6" groups at 60 yds is fine. And that may be the best that you can do with your equipment. Maybe a higher quality arrow might improve group size a bit. Or maybe a little more tweeking with your tuning. But IMO, you aredoing better than most.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Spike

35 yards. he got spooked while i was drawing back. i missed due to my arrow tail whipping. that was when i decided that if i was going to do something right, i wasnt going to cut any corners with my archery equiptment. i was shooting a reflex by bighorn hunter, cheap arrows from walmart, and a cheap release that i dont know the name of. so i went to a bow shop in mammoth cave ky to get set up this spring. so this year im wanting to be at the top of my game and i was just wanting some assurance from some seasoned archers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.