HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   arrow spine help. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/340817-arrow-spine-help.html)

HoytMT2332 02-24-2011 11:04 AM

arrow spine help.

I'm recently purchased a mission venture. I have it set a 66 pounds and have a draw length of 27.5 inches. My arrows are 28.5 inches long. What spine arrow do you think would best suit me.? I'm shooting 400's like the chart suggested but they dont fly great and paper tuning the bow has proven to be very difficult, if not impossible. Would 340s be a better choice. I'm right on the edge according to the chart, but i feel like these charts dont accomodate the newer faster bows. Any help would be appreciated. I've checked for other problems such as fletching clearance etc, and none exist. The bow also is pretty loud, i'm hoping a heavier arrow will quiet it down. While i'm at it any good recomendations for a new set of arrows. i like the easton epics, at least what i've read, but never shot them. Any good? Thanks Matt

roosclan 02-26-2011 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by HoytMT2332 (Post 3778109)
I'm recently purchased a mission venture. I have it set a 66 pounds and have a draw length of 27.5 inches. My arrows are 28.5 inches long. What spine arrow do you think would best suit me.? I'm shooting 400's like the chart suggested but they dont fly great and paper tuning the bow has proven to be very difficult, if not impossible. Would 340s be a better choice. I'm right on the edge according to the chart, but i feel like these charts dont accomodate the newer faster bows. Any help would be appreciated. I've checked for other problems such as fletching clearance etc, and none exist. The bow also is pretty loud, i'm hoping a heavier arrow will quiet it down. While i'm at it any good recomendations for a new set of arrows. i like the easton epics, at least what i've read, but never shot them. Any good? Thanks Matt

what weight broadhead are you using? Are the arrows acting like they are weak spined?

BGfisher 02-27-2011 08:04 AM

I would recommend at least trying a 340 spine. Do you have any friends or someone else you can borrom from?

Easton Epics are as good as any. In a Gold Tip XT or Expedition it would be marked 7595.

It probably wouldn't be necessary, but don't be afraid to try even a 300 spine. You might be surprised.

Poor Man 03-03-2011 09:34 PM

Gold tip arrows are generaly to light in my openion. Check out Eastons HIT arrow line they are heavier and yet smaller diameter also spine chart is more acuratly portrayed. "Arrows should be a hunting weight and not ultra light 3D. Broadheads should be a well proven head for large game. All of our elk have been taken with Thunderheads." public land for the poor man

Jim Williams 03-04-2011 04:53 AM

I shoot a 27 1/2 draw Mathews dxt @ 64# and my arrows are only 26" long and I get about 275 fps with this setup. The length of the arrow might be you problem. I shoot Easton Axis 400's with 3" Norway Fusion vanes and 100 gr. broadheads or field tip. The premium arrows and vanes are well worth the extra money. I have zero problems with arrow flight. Their are so many little things that affect arrow flight, your rest, your release, your string etc. You might want go to a good archery pro shop for assistance. Jim

OHbowhntr 03-04-2011 07:43 AM

Those .400's should be close. Probably would be better a bit shorter, about an inch make's 'em about perfect for that bow with 100gr tip. If you're having a LOT of issues, I'd look closer at the "Indian" than the bow, because that spines close enough you ought to be able to tune it.

stapher1 03-05-2011 07:05 PM

If everything else is right, you may want to look at the fletching and make sure all 3 are the same. 1 fletching glued a little different than the other 2 will make it fly off. It will corkscrew to the target. If they're all okay. You can spin your nock to next fletching (temporarily change your C- vein) and see it shoots better. I quit getting a different colored C-vein for this reason but, I do this with all new arrows to fine tune them.

I'm shooting easton flatlines 400 off my moster m6 and it shoots them perfectly.