Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Whisker Bisquit,first impressions >

Whisker Bisquit,first impressions

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Whisker Bisquit,first impressions

Old 07-25-2003, 08:05 PM

Default Whisker Bisquit,first impressions

Ok after reading all the comments on the WB I finally broke down and bought one at wallyworld.I just wanted to see for myself how the " whacking basket" as some have called it, performed first hand.Let me preface these remarks by saying I was highly skeptical after spending the past 15 years trying to avoid fletching contact with the arrow rest.For the test I used a aluminum standard bisquit with beman ICS carbon 400' s.I trimmed the back side of the rest as some have recomended(rather sloppily I might add).The rest was mounted on a darton maverick.I eyeballed the cenershot and set the nock height at 90 deg.I did not paper tune the set up due to time constraints.Bear in mind this is a new to me used bow with no peep sight only a kisser button.I was half expecting the fletching to rip off the arrows with the first shot.Much to my surprise they did not.I shot 4" vanes and feathers during my " test" .The vanes were the cheap rubber kind that come on factory bemans.Loading the rest takes some getting used to,notching the side or using the quick shot would be the way I would go if I decided to hunt with one.I do not like loading the arrows through the rest.I must say I was surprised shooting with this rest.I was able to stack arrows together at twenty yards and shoot 2-3 inch groups at thirty.One group the arrows were touching a few others opened up to 3-4 inches.I attributed the variance in groups to my shooting without a peep,something I do not normaly do.I shot several groups with fieldtips and broadheads(100 Gr muzy' s).They both grouped together.This was shooting almost straight fletching.I was very impressed with how it shot without paper tuning.Maybe I just got lucky or eyeballed it pretty good.The arrows flew straight and were sticking straight into the foam target.The only initial drawback I found with the rest is a slight noise on drawing the bow.It is also noisy with feathers as I had the rest as far as it would go forward and my feathers were just inside the rest at brace with the arrow nocked.Moving the fletching back toward the nock a tad would solve that I believe.I can see why so many guys who only bowhunt and do not target shoot would like this rest.It sets up and tunes easy.The only real negative is the slight noise on drawing.The feathers did show slight wear around the edges.The vanes had a slight wave to them but I could' nt determine if it was from the rest or sinking the arrows in the target.I will continue to shoot it and post an update.

CB
Old 07-25-2003, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whisker Bisquit,first impressions

Are your bemans camo or black? The black ones are soo smooth I can' t hear the draw. Am I just going deaf???? or are you shooting camo carbons??

To cut a notch, just remove the biscuit and cut about.25" of the metal of the ring near the factory slot. This smaller opening is much better IMHO than the large gaping hole the Quick shot provides. (I have both) The quick shot when shooting cock down lets the outside hen practically flow through the opening. And no, I can' t shoot cock up because the darn deluxe model allows my inside hen to hit the biscuit mount when shot that way[:' (].
Old 07-25-2003, 10:15 PM

They are the black hunters.I need to clean the arrows good.It may just be the foam residue from the target that gets on the arrows making a noise.

CB
Old 07-25-2003, 10:34 PM

I routinely shoot muddy grass covered blunt-tipped arrows through the whisker biscuit when it rains. I think that this helps soften the finish on the arrows and will accelerate the breakin period of this rest as well. This rest is incredibly durable and does not require alot of maintainance. Come hunting season you should just wipe it out with soap and water and keep it clean. You should also clean any dust and tree sap off of your arrows and keep them clean as well. Its a good idea to wipe your arrows clean before putting them on the rest for hunting, this will insure that nothing can make the slightest noise when you draw the bow. Good luck hunting!
Old 07-26-2003, 06:51 AM

You just had the typical experience of a new WB user. A little customization will get it just right. Cutting the notch makes loading easier then with any other rest. The correct vanes will not wrinkle (a little heat will straighten out those that do). You may find that trimming more bristles gives better results and less noise. Speaking of noise, it generally gets to be less, the more you shoot. I soap my arrow for 3D and I wonder if that hasn' t helped make mine quiet. Anyway, experiment all you want with your bisquit. If you ruin it, new ones are cheap.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:48 AM

I too, was very skeptical at first. The WB went against everything I tried to avoid for 30 yrs, fletching contact.

The rest surprised me and performed as you discribed, good grouping, easy to tune, and an added bonus of a full capture rest that holds your arrow in place while hunting.

I tried one for the first time last season and will continue to use one.

Old 07-26-2003, 09:32 AM

My bow got stole 2 weeks ago so I had to buy another bow, it came with the biscuit installed. At first was was ready to rip it off and go back to a springy. Now I think this thing is awsome! I shoot better with this bow that I have had for only two weeks as I did with the bow I used for 3 years!! I dont give all the credit to the biscuit but I do think some of the credit is due.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:27 AM

Cajun

The tech at my archery shop has a method to reduce or eliminate fletching contact on the WB. Don' t worry about trimming it. He heats up a magnus broadhead with a gas torch. He then burns the bristles on the WB in 3 areas on the outer perimeter of the WB were the arrow fletching will pass( it will leave a pie shape area). With the DP WB he burns the top 3/16 inch of WB for the cock feather to pass thru. Then he burns the sides for the other 2 vanes. You virtually remove almost all of the fletching contact. This procedure does not reduce the WB ability to hold the arrow. I swear I think you will gain 2 fps by doing this!!!
Old 07-26-2003, 05:29 PM

I haven' t seen CG around here in a while.But corey had posted about making that mod to his and he thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.Maybe we can get an update from him since turkey season.

CB
Old 07-27-2003, 06:47 AM

Here' s what I did to one of my biscuits. Through a crono, it is actually 2 fps faster than with a TM Hunter style rest. I shot it this way for two years and I must have cut at least 50% of the bristles off, since I also trimmed the back flat.

Quick Reply: Whisker Bisquit,first impressions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.