Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Need glue for fletching carbons. >

Need glue for fletching carbons.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need glue for fletching carbons.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need glue for fletching carbons.

I've done my own fletching for years, but am switching to carbons and want to know if the Fletchtite will work, or if i need to change to something else.

Also, How do you strip off old damaged fletch from a carbon shaft without messing up the carbon fibers?

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

What brand of carbon arrows? We use Saunders and don't have any issues. The key is getting the shafts really clean, we use PPG DX 330 to clean with. The only thing we have had an issue with is some of the Beeman or Cabelas arrows. They look like they have a wax coating on them and we have to scotch brite them very well first.

I use a Bohning fletching stripper or just a plain old razor blade to remove old fletching.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Banned

REmoving old fletch from carbon, you have to be very careful. Use a specialty fletch remover to start. After that, I used a dull knife being careful not to lift up any carbon fibers. After that, I put on some goattuff or steelforce glue remover, and remove the reast.

Because of all this, I now just use arrow wraps.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

Will you be using wraps?

This year i wrapped carbon arrows and used Fletch Tite Platinum for the first time. I thoroughly cleaned every contact surface and had a bunch lose fletchings afterwards. I'm convinced it was an issue with the wraps as alot of people tell me they use the same and never had a problem.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Banned

I won't ever use the fletch tite platnum anymore. It was fine for aluminum arrows.

I buy loctite gel. Cheap, works better than anything I have used.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

The only time I use either kind of fletch tite is with feathers and aluminum shafts. Won't use it for anything else and hate using it there but super glue does not bond feathers to aluminum well at all.

Use one of the various super glue gels on carbon... whether it is an "archery" super glue or something like Loc Tite. The new super glues have rubber in the glue that is suppose to keep it from getting brittle and take impact much better.

The only thing I use to clean my arrows with is a clean rag soaked with water. Do not use acetone with super glue as the residue left will reduce the bonding strength of the glue.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:42 AM
Spike

Gorilla super glue blue cap
Old 01-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

A couple of things to remember. Glue will last longer in the frig! Glue has a shelf life. When glueing fletch to carbon, use only the amount needed, if some comes out from under the vane, you used more than what was needed. LOL When refletching make sure the shaft is clean and dry. Fletchtite does not work as good as it did on aluminum shafts.
Pat
Old 01-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Platinum Fletch Tite is the best long term glue that I have used on carbon or anything else.

I use a dull knife to remove old fletch.Do not use a sharp knife.It will cut into the carbon.Then I will lightly sand with a wet dry 600 paper (wet)to remove any old residue.SOS pad to clean then rinse with water.

New shafts I will just clean with SOS and rinse with water then fetch.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:38 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigcountryextreme
I won't ever use the fletch tite platnum anymore. It was fine for aluminum arrows.

I buy loctite gel. Cheap, works better than anything I have used.
This is what I used to use and still do for plastic vanes.

Lately, I've been using the Bohning fletching tape for feathers and have gotten very good results.

It's certainly the fastest way to fletch. I still put a drop of glue on the front edge of the quill.

For cleaning, I cut most of the fletching off with my pocket knife, being careful not to cut into the arrow and then clean the rest off with a COPPER pot scrubbing pad dipped in denatured alcohol. Don't use the steel pads, they will scratch your shaft, the copper ones are a little softer and I've never had a problem with them.

Allen

Last edited by aread; 01-28-2011 at 05:42 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.