Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
String or string and cable? >

String or string and cable?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String or string and cable?

Old 01-22-2011, 04:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default String or string and cable?

Still got my stock string on and is showing some age from use. So it days are soon to be numbered and would rather change it out sooner than when deer season is near.

My cable looks fine but wondering if I should just do the string or both of them?

Been looking at MeanV's Vapor Trails site and playing with the color selector for a while, can't decide on wild or tame

Any help would be great, this will be first time getting new strings.

Thanks

Dave
Old 01-22-2011, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would change both if they are more than a couple years old.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Change both.

Since this is a hunting bow stay away from the fluorescent colors. Those bright colors may look cool but when you are at full draw on a deer and that flo-colored string gets right up next to your eye it can be very very distracting.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:58 AM
Spike

I would for sure change both. Most companies come with strings and cables for 1 price and not seperate pieces. personally I have wicked1 strings and love them and they come with strings and cables. Good luck with your new strings.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Banned

Do both. Cables actually can have more load on them.

I have used VT before. Ok setup. I prefer winners choice 8125 but some don't like the fuzzienss you get after a while. But they are getting too expensive.

I went back with John Mraz, bucknasty strings, and am completely satisfied with his gear. Just got a set for my alphamax. And he is a top notch guy too. Many of us have used him before. Just do a search on bucknasty.

http://www.odproshops.com/bucknasty.htm
Old 02-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are winners choice strings and there is everything else.

I have put on plenty of internet maker and offshoot custom or whatever brand on bows.... and in most cases.... within 6 months the owner of the bow will have winners choice on there.

I haven't ever messed with a bow with Mike Carters strings, but I hear that they are on even par with Winners Choice. Vapor Trail didn't impress me a whole lot. Pretty good but no better than Cudas or Hybrids really. They are good if you are on a very very very fixed budget and just absoultly cannot cough up another $25 for whatever reason.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountryextreme
Do both. Cables actually can have more load on them.

I have used VT before. Ok setup. I prefer winners choice 8125 but some don't like the fuzzienss you get after a while. But they are getting too expensive.

I went back with John Mraz, bucknasty strings, and am completely satisfied with his gear. Just got a set for my alphamax. And he is a top notch guy too. Many of us have used him before. Just do a search on bucknasty.

http://www.odproshops.com/bucknasty.htm
I 2nd the Bucknasty strings! I keep them waxed and have got over 2 years on mine but am going to replace them soon!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Spike

If your string is getting a little old, then you want to change the cables too. My string tends to take more abuse and wear than my cables, but as bigcountryextreme pointed out they actually do have more load on them.

When you change either the string or the cables, you will have a break in period where the strings and cables aren't the same as before and you're getting everything tuned back for you. If you change both, you only go through this once. If you change one or the other, you go through it twice.

Allen
Old 02-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

You don't buy just 1 shoe. Jim
Old 02-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

The string does take more abuse than the cable(s) so here's what I'd do. I'd order a complete set + one extra string. Next time you need a change just change the string. The cables should still be good unless you damage it/them in some manner.

As for brands? Personal matter. I have used Winner's Choice and they are good, but I've also used Prostrings, Backnasty, and recently H&M and find them every bit as good as Winner's Choice, but at a lot less money.

Not that a few bucks means a lot, but shooting a Nitrous X system calls for a string and four cables so it's a lot more than $25 difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.