Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
How to extend my effective range? >

How to extend my effective range?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to extend my effective range?

Old 01-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Two biggest things help me to shoot better past 25 yds. First, switching to .19 pins and second, shooting longer distances. I was able to find a spot where I can extend my range out to 70 yds. I noticed after shooting 40+ yds and then coming back to more realistic hunting ranges it was so much easier which made me feel confident in my ability. I make it a routine to shoot at least 6-10 arrows between the distance of 50-70 yds when I practice then I bring it back down to under 40 yds to end with.

I don't plan on shooting a deer or other animal past 40 yds but after shooting longer distances it makes it seem so much easier 40 yds and under. Also at longer distances you will be able to feel/spot your flaws much easier because they will be much more noticeable at the target.

Last edited by flips2; 01-02-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jamesaf2870
this good info. Some other things would be is the bow perfectly fitted to youare your arrows spined right,and is your bow tuned correctly.not saying any of these arent right with your set up but you need to start ther before you start on you. All this said find someone that can coach you not someone on the internet but someone that can stand ther and tell what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong. Just my 2 cents
yes i had a man at my bow shop help me with my form etc. he was very informative. thanks for all the input everyone!
Old 01-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Spike

Excellent advice from SwampCollie!! Drive by shooting and punching will bring on target panic as fast as anything.

In addition to the things he mentioned, work on one part of your form at a time. Bow hand, release hand, balance, anchors & follow through.

Also, practice holding steady without shooting. Draw & aim as long as you can stay steady and relaxed, then let down. If you aren't steady enough, it's likely that you aren't relaxed or have a form flaw. To correct that, you would need to work with a coach one-on-one. Don't worry about taking this beyond 10 to 15 seconds. It's not muscle building, it's about finding the right muscles to relax.

If you want to be accurate at 30 yards, become confident with your shot at 60 yards.

Good luck,
Allen
Old 01-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sure remember the poor equipment days

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
yea i know people who bought matthews and hoyts thinking it was going to make them a better archer, while they are spending 800 bucks im still beating them with my $400 Bear Charge guess who wants there money back! lol
lordy!!!!! I remember a lot of that happening in trout fishing. I'd have a less expensive reel; a less expensive rod; a less expensive net; less expensive clothes; less expensive waders. And a fish limit on an inexpensive plastic stringer.
And it was unmerciful to watch those fly fishermen watch a lure fisherman just plumb catch fish. lordy, I would sure put on a show sometimes. It was just plain old mean of me, when I was younger, sometimes.
Thanks for making me remember, huntingkidPA.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

well..i got an early 90's bow, sights, rest...
3 pin sight..fiber
i usually just practice on small targets at 40 yards...
i am very confident that i can hit a quarter at 40..
makes the short shots easy.
number 1 helper fer me, is a range finder!!!
i have found that judging 35 yards and 40 yards is a lil tricky ...a 35 yard shot go right over a lil pigs back usin a 40 yard pin..
my buddy who has only one pin, tries to guess where ta put the pin, on top of trying to guess the distance, no luck for him yet using a bow.
of course ..practice practice practice.
also, try and beat your holdback time everyday.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Learn to float your pin on the target and squeeze slowly with your release and try to have a suprise release. You must have control over the shot and not punch the trigger as soon as the sight picture looks good or close to being good. Practice at distances beyond your effective range and judge your effective range by the first arrow you shoot of the day, not your group after warming up.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
lordy!!!!! I remember a lot of that happening in trout fishing. I'd have a less expensive reel; a less expensive rod; a less expensive net; less expensive clothes; less expensive waders. And a fish limit on an inexpensive plastic stringer.
And it was unmerciful to watch those fly fishermen watch a lure fisherman just plumb catch fish. lordy, I would sure put on a show sometimes. It was just plain old mean of me, when I was younger, sometimes.
Thanks for making me remember, huntingkidPA.
yea no prob. that happens to me and my dad while trout fishing too! we just by normal gear and sometimes we will just completely destroy the fly fishermans that day! lol its mean but shows that its about skill not gear