HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   BH problem... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/337230-bh-problem.html)

OhioBowhunter 12-29-2010 04:41 AM

BH problem...

ok so i shoot bloodrunner 2's with quickspin vanes. the box said they were supposed to fly like field points so i assumed it to be true and never shot them seeing as i dont have a bh target i didnt take the time to find one either. so last night i missed a doe at 20 yards and my dad is convinced its the heads. can anyone give me their 2 cents as to the accuracy compared to that of a field point? thank you.

OBH

jicand 12-29-2010 04:55 AM

JJust because it says it "flies like field points" doesn't mean you can just set and go. Every broadhead you get, whether fixed or mechanical, you should shoot a few times to see how they fly and adjust accordingly.

bigcountry 12-29-2010 06:45 AM

You can't make the assumption. Bottom line is, unless a head is shaped exactly like a field point, you can't assume they fly like a field point.

Did you spin test them?

OhioBowhunter 12-29-2010 01:11 PM

yeah i did spin test them and they seemed fine. but like i said i just believe it was me from where the arrow landed in relation to where the deer was becuase it was just low.

jicand 12-29-2010 03:29 PM

Shoot the broadheads at targets and tune your bow for them. Never buy broadheads and just assume they're gonna shoot the same as you're used to. I'd go so far as testing new packs of the same type of BH I'm already using. Can never be too sure.

huntingkidPA 12-29-2010 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by jicand (Post 3749476)
Shoot the broadheads at targets and tune your bow for them. Never buy broadheads and just assume they're gonna shoot the same as you're used to. I'd go so far as testing new packs of the same type of BH I'm already using. Can never be too sure.

by tuning your bow does this mean i have to switch up my sights?
all the broadheads i have head shoot the same as my field points so i havent had to change but i just got some thunderheads and i need to test them

bronko22000 12-29-2010 05:35 PM

I agree you should have shot the BHs before you hunted with them. Was you bow properly tuned? Maybe you just got a case of buck fever and blew the shot. But you will never know if you don't shoot your BHs to be sure.
ps: You're lucky you missed clean and didn't gut shoot that doe.

OhioBowhunter 12-30-2010 10:17 AM

yeah my bow is tuned properly. all my arrows touch at 20 and 30. all in the dot at 40 and paper plate from 50-70. i shoot all the time i think it might have just been a combination of wearing alot of clothes, holding my draw for a while and having not shot in a couple weeks

jicand 12-30-2010 11:22 AM

By tune your bow I meant Broadhead tune it, adjust your rest/nock point so your broadheads hit the same place as your field points

3Children 12-30-2010 04:12 PM

Every hunting bow used for hunting with a broadhead, has to be bh tuned or it is not tuned, as far as getting the most out of your bow! I tuned a lot of bows this year, and some said they wanted me to look at their bow, just like you, shooting a mechanical. The box, bag or salesman told them the heads shoot just like field pts. It fails to mention, "after the bow is tuned"! If you shoot mechanicals you still must tune the bow with a fixed, and the futher the better. None of my bows go out of the shop without hitting the same place with bh and fp at 50yds. My bow is hitting the same poi at 80yds. It just takes more time.