HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   good mechanical for beginner (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/337057-good-mechanical-beginner.html)

jicand 12-26-2010 08:37 AM

good mechanical for beginner

Hello, I'm new to archery and am looking to start hunting next year. I have some fixed blade broad heads I plan on trying, but I am also looking into mechanicals. Looking through the last reaper v. rage thread, I wasted about 4 pages on an arguement between 2 posters. Soo, that being said, what mechanical heads do you think I should try. Annika3 I hate to single you out but I've seen your position about rage and really want to hear someone else's opinion. Also as I'm not interested in a mech. vs. fixed debate so take it elsewhere. Thank you.

bigbulls 12-26-2010 02:36 PM

Rocket steel head. It has been proven time and time again to be one of the best penetrating and strongest mechanical heads made. Stay away from huge cutting diameters and stick with a mechanical that a moderate cutting diameter for better penetration. Don't fall for the "cutting diameter is everything" BS. It doesn't matter if you cut a 1" hole or a 2" hole... if you can't get through both lungs because you smacked a shoulder blade with that huge broadhead then you are in for a long day or night tracking your deer.

Another good mechanical is the Wasp jackhammer 1-1/4" cut.

ijimmy 12-28-2010 03:41 AM

rocket steelhead is good , another would be vortex minimax pro , its 2 blade 1 1/2 cut and ive had great sucess with them made by marden

Krypt Keeper 12-28-2010 04:23 PM

Tried Reapers this yr and really liked how they shot. Got a practice head with the pack to use in the backyard. Shot a doe at 20 yards about 5 inches high and still balled her up within 40 yards of where she stood. Blood trail was decent even for my sorry shot. Was my first bow kill and needless to say I was nervous and excited when I took the shot.

don't know if it was luck or the nasty hole they leave but will be using them again, I am not brand loyal so after these are gone who knows what I will try next.

huntingkidPA 12-29-2010 01:47 PM

my experience with mechanicals is that they dont penetrate as well as fixed blades

RangerJ 12-29-2010 06:48 PM

The only mechanicals I have ever used are the Grim Reapers. I started using them this year,they are absolutely awesome. Both of the deer I killed died within 40 yards. The first dropped within sight,the second was knocked off of her feet and slid to the bottom of a deep hollow, still in sight.The blood trail was very well defined although I didn't need one. This is all I can vouch for.

bmanges 12-30-2010 05:45 PM

Ill second the mar-den recomendation the vortex broadheads are the best ive ever used.

steve25 12-31-2010 08:42 PM

IF is was shooting an exspandable it would be the Grim Reapers hands down!!!!

I have tried all kinds of exspandables over the years and for me nothing penatrated as good as the reapers and I have always gotten pass throughs with them except for once a spine shot.

jamesaf2870 01-02-2011 10:00 AM

Nap spitfire never had a failure with them,but the steelhead is the best penetrating head i have tested.

Valentine 01-14-2011 04:37 AM

Understand the mechanical

For any beginner, don't just put the mechanical broadhead on the arrow. Study it. Figure out how it's suppose to operate. Learn how a newbie can foul up a mechanical device. Just so he can blame the mechanical for not working, as newbies are wont to do.