Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

FOBs

Old 12-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Spike

Default FOBs

Has anyone used the FOBs (fletching only better)? I have watched many videos on youtube and am intersted on honest opinions. Everything I have seen thus far looks good but I have to believe some of the videos are a little biased. Here is the link to their website.
www.starrflight.com

Last edited by jwsfitter; 12-25-2010 at 04:58 AM. Reason: added a link
Old 12-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Spike

If nobody has tried them. Do any of you have any opinions at all on them?
Old 12-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried them and didnt care for them. I didnt like how they touch my face while at full draw. Also they say they are for steering big broadheads but they didnt seem to perform any better than feathers. But their worth a shot, some people love them.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use them, and swear by them, like some have said some of us really like them....and they work well for me in all applications.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I haven't used them personally because they just did not interest me. Complaints I hear from customers are pretty much the same as yours MOhunter46

Dan

Originally Posted by MOhunter46
I tried them and didnt care for them. I didnt like how they touch my face while at full draw. Also they say they are for steering big broadheads but they didnt seem to perform any better than feathers. But their worth a shot, some people love them.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input guys. They are deffinatly cheap enough.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default FOB's -A Niche Market

It all comes down to meeting the needs of the archery market.

Every archer needs vane replacement of some type. FOB's meet the need of the infrequent practice archer-hunter, who doesn't need many replacements.
With niche markets the individual cost is higher per unit, but the total cost to the archer is less. FOB's might cost $1.66 to "vane", per arrow, while another archer can do it with regular vanes for anywhere from .40 cents to $1. In the latter case, the cost of revaning is cut to a quarter to less than two-thirds the cost of the FOB. But the advantage of FOB, important to some archers, is the total cost.

The FOB user can "vane" his 12 replacements, in total, to $20. The vane fletherer has to spend more initial money. For one the lesser cost of vanes, cost more in initial outlays. It might be money just for the minimum quantity of $20 to say $50 for the unused vanes. Then the price of glue at $5. And the cost of a fletcher that can run from $40 to $80. So to save money, the initial outlay is much greater. Making the appeal of FOB's, very appealing.

Of course, I would never consider FOB's. My flether of over fifteen years is paid for and technically costs me nothing. I bought vanes at 1995 prices, so I save every year. And the glue will cost me around $5. So I can re-vane an arrow, at less than .25 cents an arrow. Just because I'm an archer of long standing, spreading my costs over years.

And most of you thought archery had nothing to do with cost accounting.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tried them

I got a dozen FOBs and shot them for most of a summer. I did not like the feel of them at anchor, but that is something a person could get used to. I did have to retime drop away rests on 2 of my bows so that the FOB did not make contact with the rest. Not a fan of having a drop away that barely comes to full height when you hit full draw, prefer more dwell myself. Lastly, I did a comparison test shooting broadheads at 20,30,40 between the FOBs and Quickspin ST hunters. The FOBs shot well, but not really any better than the Quickspins. This was using a few slightly crooked broadheads. I believe they work fine, but I didn't really see any great advantage.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Spike

I used them and they touch your face when you anchor like some other people said. They were pretty much shot the same as fletched arrows. What I didn't like about them is you can't use Lumenoks or any lighted arrow nock with the FOBS. They also make some noise when they're in the air - you can hear a swoosh that fletched arrows don't make when they're in the air. I might have still used them but I want to use lumenoks so I dont use them anymore. I still have them though.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Valentine
And most of you thought archery had nothing to do with cost accounting.
As much money as most people spend on archery supplies, i don't think the cost of the FOB's are an issue.

I fletch my own arrows and do have some FOB's. They seem to shoot well for me but i really haven't put the time in shooting them to compare if they really are better than fletchings. They say they are better in windy conditions and longer shots, but i like using lighted nocks which fit in the shafts tight, so the FOB probably wouldn't fall off in a pass thru like they should.

I live in town, thus can't shoot in my backyard, so i don't get out as often as i would like to practice and compare.

I shoot a release and don't have any issues with them touching my face.

Last edited by Iowabucks44; 01-21-2011 at 07:31 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.