Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

FOBs

Old 01-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Buckaddict
What I didn't like about them is you can't use Lumenoks or any lighted arrow nock with the FOBS.
I remember watching a youtube video of a guy who made his own lighted nocks and modified them to work with FOBs. The nock came off with the FOB, and the light stayed in the arrow.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Spike

The biggest problem I see with them is the fact that you can't shoot groups, unless you want to be replacing them! I've heard alot of guys say they are noisy,I havn't tried them though, so thats just hear-say.
I myself will stick with the blazer vane, I have yet to find a vane that shoots a broadhead as well as they do!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I got some of the first to field test when they first came out, they work but now for me.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:03 AM
Spike

I can see a niche market for them, but I don't even like the look of plastic vanes. No way I'm using FOB's. However, this is just personal preference.

If you like them, use them. When all the costs are added up, they are probably cheaper. But don't forget to square up the nock end of your shaft before installing them.

Allen
Old 02-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never considered these, doubt I ever will. I do all my own refletching to the offset that works for my setup & broadheads. I wonder if the FOB's would get the arrow spinning as soon as offset vanes do. My biggest concern would be arrow penetration. Obviously it appears the FOB's come off the end of the shaft on impact, also taking your nock off. Regardless that alone would have to slow some penetration. I'm not for slowing any amount of penetration, regardless how small.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

good idea, i thing the manufactures need to hear what you guys are saying so they can tweak it a lil bit..certainly a good idea that needs a lil work...i might grab some and give em a whirl, it would have to make a tremendous difference to get me away from what i know works.
not to mention im guessin ya need a drop away rest....not fer me
Old 02-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

i have tried them and use them now they are excellent they work well do what they say and are well priced try them and see what you think if you dont like them then there you go if you do then there you go as well untill you try it for yourself you wont know
Old 02-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BuckAlley
Never considered these, doubt I ever will. I do all my own refletching to the offset that works for my setup & broadheads. I wonder if the FOB's would get the arrow spinning as soon as offset vanes do.
The connecting fins of the FOBs have a 3 or 4 degree offset (can't remember which), and since they are rigid and won't flex/buckle/bend under force like plastic vanes will, I would think they would get the arrow spinning as fast or faster than plastic vanes.

EDIT: from their website:
"What makes FOBs spin?

The internal spin fins™ have a 4° offset. Being a semi-rigid airfoil the spin fins™ provide more torque to spin an arrow than conventional fletching."

My biggest concern would be arrow penetration. Obviously it appears the FOB's come off the end of the shaft on impact, also taking your nock off. Regardless that alone would have to slow some penetration. I'm not for slowing any amount of penetration, regardless how small.
Which do you think slows penetration more:
a) dragging vanes through the entire body of a deer as they increase the diameter of the shaft (and thus the amount of friction) that has to pass through the body, or
b) popping a FOB off the back end (easy to do with your hand with slight pressure), thus keeping the arrow shaft the same diameter (smaller than shaft+vanes) and less friction than the shaft+vanes will have?

Plus, you'll know where to start tracking, since your FOB will be laying where your deer was shot.

EDIT: from their website:
"What happens when a FOB equipped arrow passes through a target or animal?

The FOB is held in place by the press in ICS nock that is provided with your arrow. When the arrow passes through, the FOB and nock pop-off as a unit. This increases penetration, because the force required to pop the FOB off, is less than that of the fletch pulling through. A bonus is that when you are hunting the FOB will mark the spot the animal was hit. See demo video of the FOB pop off in action."

Last edited by roosclan; 02-06-2011 at 11:46 AM.