Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 holy moly!!  which bow? (beginner) >

holy moly!! which bow? (beginner)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

holy moly!! which bow? (beginner)

Old 07-19-2003, 03:32 AM

Default holy moly!! which bow? (beginner)

Hello all,

For starters I have always been a rifle/shotgun hunter. I am now interested in taking up bowhunting for some added challenge. Not that simple huh? It seems that there are tons of different bows out there and such a wide price range. I need some suggestions on a decent bow for a beginner. Any ideas will be appreciated. BTW, I have noticed that you can sink a ton of money into this sport!

Hector
Old 07-19-2003, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: holy moly!! which bow? (beginner)

Hector500, welcome to archery- now get out your checkbook!!

The funny thing is you can spend $300 on a quality kit bow decked out with everything except arrows and kill deer effectively (a certain bass pro pse special comes to mind).
But when I look at kit bows the first thing I see is everything I' d replace. By the time I was done I MIGHT have the quiver left with the original package. This is just personal preference.

If you want to do this the right way the first time I, and many others, will suggest you go to a pro shop and let them help you choose a bow and accessories. Ask them if they have any kit bows to start with because the accessories can add up $$ quick.

Good luck.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:46 AM

More important than the bow, is the fit. You can shoot just as good with a low-end bow as a high-end model. Go to a bow shop and make sure you' re fitted properly.

In my opinion, a beginner is better off not spending a fortune on top of the line stuff. First, find out if you like it and when the opportunity arises, try different types of releases, rests, sights, quivers, etc. Once you' ve gotten to the point where you know what you want, go for it.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:17 AM

Hector,When I got into bowhunting(I`am coming into my sixth season)I too was overwhelemed.I`ve been hunting for 30years but bowhunting was new.Go to a good archery shop and check a bunch of different bows.Here in Baltimore,I went to see Len at Macrotech.Len gave me a lot of good advice,and I ended up with a Parker Hunter-Mag package.The set-up was solid and used it for two years.Just like anything else,it`s all in the prep work.Good Luck!
Old 07-19-2003, 11:47 AM

Hector500

Because of the radical, sensitive, and complex bow gear that is out there today; if you are inexperienced with archery and archery equipment, it is just as important that you determine what you should not (first) use, as it is to determine what you need and should use. Certain types of bows and accessories do not belong in the hands of a learning bow shooter.

If you give in to the " fashion statement" and " keeping up with Jones" affliction, your learning phase will be more complex than need be, your confusion and frustration could be multiplied, and you will spend more money than you need to....to hit a deer at 20 -25-yards.

I know and have known some " Jacob Marley" archers that never acquire good and consistent accuracy with their bow.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:15 PM

Hector, take a look at the Browning Tornado. It is reasonably priced, more than enough power, and is very forgiving (7.5" brace). There are a lot of good quality bows on the market - I would suggest getting a bow with no less than a 7 inch brace height for reasons stated above. I agree with c903, don' t get into a " my bow is better than your bow" contest - the bow that is best is the one you are CONFIDENT and ACCURATE with!
Old 07-22-2003, 02:13 AM

All,

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to start with the PSE S3 Deer Hunter Combo. Eders.com has them for a decent price. This year I will just be getting familiar with archery and if it works out I will bowhunt next year. Thanks again!

-hector
Old 07-23-2003, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have a couple pro shops in the area, go and check them out. A good shop will allow you to shoot a few bows and see which you find the most enjoyable to shoot and fits you well. Also, they will be able to point you in the right direction with accesories that will be a good starter bow. It really depends a lot on how much you want to spend, and what you feel most comfortable shooting.