HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   New member lots ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/334986-new-member-lots.html)

parttimr 11-25-2010 08:27 AM

New member lots ?

Hi all been lurking for a bit now and seems lots of knowledgeable folks here. Been bowhunting for 20+ yrs and for approx 15 yrs with same set up so here's the questions....

Shooting a PSE Thunder Flight with a 30 inch draw set at 67 lbs, Eastonn xx75 2315 arrows and Thunderhead 125 bhs. I knoe I am an antique in the archery world with this set up but have taken a bear and deer every year with it.

Most of my shots are 20 yrds or less from my blinds and stands but this yr set up where one stand ha lots of activity but shot would have been 30-40 yds. This bow has always had pass thru's until this yr. Harvested my deer last week but no pass thru completely. Did exit opposite side though.

My question is with this set up is it possible to wear out limbs to the point my arrows/bh are now to heavy and not enough energy now at point of impact. Also using a WB rest but purchased a QAD drop away to try next year will my bow be to slow for this rest to operate properly.

I am looking at purchasing an up to date bow and accessories but not sure about carbon arrows and arrow spines with the bh set up. Sorry for so long but this new stuff is a little confusing, especially when set in my ways, lol.

Two bows I am looking at are the Diamond Rock and the Bear striker within' my budget. Both come in pkgs with RTH for right at $450-$500. All thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

3Children 11-26-2010 02:53 PM

Not knowing how old the string is, that would be my first guess, string stretch or a broken strand under wrap. Nothing wrong with your setup, of course there are faster and smoother shooting bows now on the market. I have seen this before when the string stretches the bow gets out of tune. The arrow doesn't fly straight to the target, rather at some type of angle. When it hits the target, it does so at an angle and loses a lot of momentum, (what drives the arrow), and impeds penatration.

wvnimrod 11-27-2010 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by 3Children (Post 3729280)
Not knowing how old the string is, that would be my first guess, string stretch or a broken strand under wrap. Nothing wrong with your setup, of course there are faster and smoother shooting bows now on the market. I have seen this before when the string stretches the bow gets out of tune. The arrow doesn't fly straight to the target, rather at some type of angle. When it hits the target, it does so at an angle and loses a lot of momentum, (what drives the arrow), and impeds penatration.

I agree,I'd think string and cable stretch.

parttimr 11-27-2010 04:54 PM

Thanks guys for the feedback. Never gave it a thought for a string and the cables. They are the original cables and I cannot tell ya when the string was last changed although kept waxed continuously. I know the set up is slower than today's bows but still gets the deer every year and hard to fix what ain't broke. Guess it's a new string and cables and go from there. Hunt safe.

bruin1951 12-01-2010 12:34 PM

I am not sure I understand your question but all bows have more energy at less than 20 yards than they do at 30 to 40 yards plus the pass through issue you need to factor in whether the animals are the same size, the angle, tree vs. blind, the broadheads as sharp, if you have been using the same BHs all season and just got a shot last week your BHs get a littler duller each time you take them in and out of the quiver and hunting in the rain. I do not think you can accurately measure a bows effectiveness based on one shot into an animal too many factors are introduced into the equation but if your bow is 15 years old if you can afford it you are due for an upgrade.