Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need advise

Old 11-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Spike

Default Need advise

Long story short, I got yet another invite to bow hunt some pretty good land and its been irking me.

As soon as I can (hopefully as soon as everybody gets their presents) I am going to find a bow and start getting ready for next years season.

My dilemma is; I am right handed, shoot right handed, but am left eye dominant. My vision is better with my left eye. I am too set in my ways to shoot a rifle or shotgun lefty. I have a piece of electrical tape on my shooting glasses so that I can shoot both eyes open.

So, should I look into shooting a bow lefty or go right handed? I haven't done much bow shooting minus a little as a kid.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 11-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Go shoot so,e bows and decide what you're comfortable with. I'm left handed in most things except, shooting a bow, batting and golfing. It just seems more natural. Golfing and batting left handed just doesn't work for me. I never tried shooting a bow left handed because shooting right was too natural. Shot gun I can do either. Any given day I can shoot better either side. That just means I suck at shooting skeet, lol.

Go to a shop and shoot.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default If you can accurately shoot a shotgun

right handed, with a dominant left eye, you should be able to shoot a bow, too, if you so choose. (same with me) Haven't you developed a system?

Yea, and I can go lefty, now, but never do it, except for a rifle sometimes, up in a tree stand.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:57 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by rduchateau2954
Long story short, I got yet another invite to bow hunt some pretty good land and its been irking me.

As soon as I can (hopefully as soon as everybody gets their presents) I am going to find a bow and start getting ready for next years season.

My dilemma is; I am right handed, shoot right handed, but am left eye dominant. My vision is better with my left eye. I am too set in my ways to shoot a rifle or shotgun lefty. I have a piece of electrical tape on my shooting glasses so that I can shoot both eyes open.

So, should I look into shooting a bow lefty or go right handed? I haven't done much bow shooting minus a little as a kid.

Thanks,
Ryan
If you havn't started being serious about archery, start left.

I too am left eye dom but right handed, it cause major hassles.

I can shoot a pistol better left handed, and do take the occasional rifle shot left handed. But bow, I would have to start down again at a 50lb bow. I ahve been shooting a bow RH for over 25 years.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb 1 vote for shooting lefty.

I have twin sons that are now 20. When they were younger, one could always shoot better with a bow than the other. We found out that the oldest twin was left eye dominant and right handed. It took him about half a summer to get comfortable shooting lefty. He now shoots as well or better than anyone in the family.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Spike

Thanks guys, I was leaning towards lefty to begin with and wanted to make sure. I'll start hitting up the shops after christmas. Its gonna be interesting to see what kind of weight I can pull back with my left arm.

Well, I'll let you know what the shop says and what I end up getting. So, for now, I'll go back to trolling your posts. ;-)

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 11-19-2010, 04:49 AM
Spike

My sons had about the same experience as JOEPA's, except that they aren't twins.

My younger son made the switch on his own and started shooting his righthanded bow, left handed. We soon got him a left hand bow. He is a right handed as they come for everything except shooting. But because he is very much left eye dominant, a left hand bow feels more natural to him.

Because he switched so young and so soon after he started shooting, there was no real time to change over.

I've heard from several sources that it is better to base it on your eye dominance. However, I suspect that it should be decided on a case-by-case basis. Try both and go with the one that feels the most natural.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Typical Buck

Wow ! i had this same exact problem, during this season my right eye was messing up my accuracy and i switched to be a lefty on my right handed bow and bagged one! i think you should easily be able to shoot left handed even though your right! good luck
Old 11-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

also a good way to tell ( most guys probably know) but make a triangle with your hands and pick out and object, close on eye, say my right eye, the object moves so that means im left handed! nifty little trick im sure you all know but i thought id share