Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Upgrading my young son's bow- help! >

Upgrading my young son's bow- help!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Upgrading my young son's bow- help!

Old 10-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Spike

Default Upgrading my young son's bow- help!

Hi All,
I'm new to the site but a complete and sold-out Brother in the outdoor world. Glad I found ya'll!

I bought a Browning Midas 2 for my son 3 years ago. He is 11 now and the Midas is too small. He wants to start hunting, and I wish to take him. Our archery season just closed so we're talking about next year. I've been searching Ebay for used bows, and I found a couple that I considered buying, but I don't know enough about bows. I am certainly not in a position to waste money! The Midas is 25/30#. You have to have a minimum of 40# to legally hunt. There is no need to spend big bucks on this bow as my son is growing like a weed! I shoot a Trykon and he doesn't need anything like that. It will get dropped and handled roughly. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking a 40-70# bow with the basic goodies, and I was looking at used for under $100. Wouldn't an older compound serve him well for the next 5 or 6 years?

Thanks,

Kerrdog
Old 10-24-2010, 03:42 AM
Fork Horn

Under $100 is a difficult one. Its hard to find a bow for an adult that will have the proper fit and not need work, let alone a kid who is still growing, for under $100. If you decide to spend more than $100 dollars I would highly recommend a Diamond Razor Edge package. The next time your son will need a bow he should be on his own and out of the house. The draw length adjusts from like 25" to 30" and draw weight is 40# - 60# adjustable. Its a good setup has the sights, rest, and quiver. I bought one for my wife a year ago she was shooting the Micro Midas it just wasn't cutting it for her so we got the Razor Edge. Bow is fast, quiet, and light. I've shot it up against the Trykon I used to have and actually found for the money the Razor Edge costs I'd take the Razor Edge over a Trykon. The complete package should sell for about $349-$379.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:02 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by ACutting
Under $100 is a difficult one. Its hard to find a bow for an adult that will have the proper fit and not need work, let alone a kid who is still growing, for under $100. If you decide to spend more than $100 dollars I would highly recommend a Diamond Razor Edge package. The next time your son will need a bow he should be on his own and out of the house. The draw length adjusts from like 25" to 30" and draw weight is 40# - 60# adjustable. Its a good setup has the sights, rest, and quiver. I bought one for my wife a year ago she was shooting the Micro Midas it just wasn't cutting it for her so we got the Razor Edge. Bow is fast, quiet, and light. I've shot it up against the Trykon I used to have and actually found for the money the Razor Edge costs I'd take the Razor Edge over a Trykon. The complete package should sell for about $349-$379.
I appreciate the advice. I want him to have good equipment, but I can't be sure that he will love bow hunting as I do, so I didn't want to spend a lot... in case he loses interest. I'll do some research, however. Maybe I can trade the Micro Midas or find a used Razor Edge.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

Not a $100.00 but the Darton Ranger II is less than $200.00 and can adjust from 15-50lbs and has a draw range from 17"-28" comes with all the module at no extra charge.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

I have to agree with ACutter. Yea, more than $100, but the Razor Edge package is as good as it gets for youth and small frame adults. I bought one for my son as a 9 year old and it can grow right along with him. It comes with a good quality Whisker Biscuit rest and a descent 3-pin fiber optic site. He'll be able to use this bow until he can afford to buy his next one! Here's a pic of him shooting it a few months ago.
Attached Thumbnails Upgrading my young son's bow- help!-photo12271518.jpg  
Old 10-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by 3Children
Not a $100.00 but the Darton Ranger II is less than $200.00 and can adjust from 15-50lbs and has a draw range from 17"-28" comes with all the module at no extra charge.
I looked at a couple Dartons on Ebay. I was going to risk buying one but didn't as I didn't know anything aboout them. Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by lovethebigguns
I have to agree with ACutter. Yea, more than $100, but the Razor Edge package is as good as it gets for youth and small frame adults. I bought one for my son as a 9 year old and it can grow right along with him. It comes with a good quality Whisker Biscuit rest and a descent 3-pin fiber optic site. He'll be able to use this bow until he can afford to buy his next one! Here's a pic of him shooting it a few months ago.
Two votes for the Razor Edge! I checked them out also on Ebay... nice bows! I will consider this hard. I'm just poor as a church mouse right now. The economy slapped me upside the head!
Old 10-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Spike

I just bought a Mission Menace for my 10y.o. (17"-30" dl, up to 50lbs. dw), but that is because we didn't have the money to get him a Mission Craze, which is new this year. The Craze has 19"-30" dl, and a huge range of draw weight. For example, at 25" dl, the Craze can go from 26lbs to 70lbs. My pro shop can get a bare bow for $260. If he has a good rest and sight, then you won't need to buy a package.

If he does decide to take up bowhunting, it could very well be the only bow he needs into adulthood.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get The Razors Edge, they are very good 30-60# Draw and a wide range of draw lengths, it will be a while before he would need another and they are very fast too. I have a Parker Challenger 25" draw 40-50# limbs if you need it for $150 and it is in new condition.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for the Razors Edge. Both my kids have them, awesome bows. You won't have to buy another one, they have a huge amount of adjustment in drawlength and poundage. You might be able to find a used one, but there are not many around from what I've seen. I would personally save up to get one, rather than buy something that you know nothing about its background - and/or something that they might grow out of shortly. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Spike

Thanks, Everybody, for your input and offers. We are on hold for now as a Jeep restoration is sucking all my money away! I appreciate the input and experience y'all have provided. We have been looking hard at the Razor's Edge, and I like that package.

Happy Hunting,

Kerrdog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.