Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Help breaking arrows (victory) >

Help breaking arrows (victory)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help breaking arrows (victory)

Old 10-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default Help breaking arrows (victory)

I seem to have a big problem over the last week my son has been practicing as he has all summer but Just from shooting practice 4 of his arrows have cracked. Going from base of nock to top of his fusion vanes. Hes shooting thru a biscuit w/ a bear lights out set at 62 lbs. The arrows are victory v-force 1. The arrows have been flying perfect with both broadheads and field points these have broke while shooting field pts in a glen del target. The only thing different in the last 2 weeks was we had the serving come loose so my shop re served and put a new loop on. Only thing I could think that may possibly happen is w/ these victory nocks they kinda have like two stages they clasp string and then go abit further an re click at bottom . Might with re serving could he think since a bit tighter they are seated all the way shooting and force of string slamming nock into arrow crack them ???? Any other thoughts im bleeding money and obviously dont want him to hurt himself
Old 10-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

My first look would be at the nocks. Are they seated properly?
Second, I'd be looking at the nock end of the shafts. I have had a few easton rampage's start to split up the shaft, but only after I hit something hard, like a stump or wood planks I have out near my target.
Third, I'd be looking at arrow weight and spine. Are they too stiff for the draw? Not stiff enough? Weights of the arrows consistent?
If all of these aspects are within the recommendations by the manufacturer, I'd guess you may have a bad batch of arrows.
For myself, I buy 2-3 dozen arrows after the season when they go on sale with huge discounts. I use one dozen for target practice all winter, and use the second dozen to replace what I break or wear out throughout the year. About a month before the season opens, I break out that last dozen, take a handful of shots with them to tune the broadheads, and we're out the door with blood in my eyes (for the deer of course).
Rampages are pretty cheap, as I was able to get them for $40 a dozen on sale, so I bought a bunch.
Glad I did too, as I broke a dozen over the past two months.
Good luck!
Dave
Old 10-16-2010, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check the target - I can't remember for sure if this is the target that has a steel rod inside for reinforcement. If he is missing the insert, he may be hitting that rod.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

He might not be seting the nock in the second notch. Kinda giving the string a "run and go" at it. Just a thought as I've never used those nocks.