Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Peep sight

Old 10-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Peep sight

I'm having problems while hunting in a tent, that it's dark inside and it makes it hard to pick up the peep sight, usually at first light or just around dusk. Is there any way to combat this problem ? Had a big rack come out at 6:45 one morning, 20 yds away, and couldn't pick em up in the sight. I know if I was in my ladder stand, I would have been able to shoot with that much light. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Move up to a larger size peep.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:01 AM
Spike

You can try to paint the edge of the peep with some sort of illuminated paint ( ie. Glow in the dark paint. I have done that and its made a world of difference. All i did was make a line on it to be able to spot it in the dark for contrast the rest is history.

If you need help trying to do this let me know i will let you know what i used to do this and how i got it to stay on .
Old 10-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll try to pick up some of the illuminated paint. I'd imagine a little nail polish might toughen it up if it keeps coming off. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:42 AM
Spike

Good idea . . . l Hope it works for you .
Old 10-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Spike

are sight lights legal where you are at ?
Old 10-23-2010, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

Stop using the peep and go back to a kisser for shootin in the blind.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMO,if you are having trouble picking up the peep when it's dark,there is a strong possibility that it isn't exactly perfect for you.It may need to be moved slightly.You should be able to anchor and be looking through it.Now,this is assuming it is large enough to see through in low light.

"I" prefer to have my peep circle my housing at full draw so that requires me to use a 3/16" peep.There are peeps much larger than this available.

I have shot 3-d tournament at night with nothing but a flashlight on the target with 1/8" peeps in the past."I" do have good eyes and may be very fortunate but having the peep set perfect goes a long way toward being able to see through it in low light.

Be careful putting paint or nail polish on a peep.If it flakes off at the shot,it could end up in the eye.Just a thought.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Draw your bow and anchor with your eyes closed, then open your eyes and you should be looking through the center of your peep sight hole. That is how you will know the peep is in the correct position. A 3/16" should work good, but if you need more of an opening for shooting in dark areas you can try a 1/4" peep.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

this isn't a plug for this product and I don't use it, but take a look at the Predator View Peep. It might help.

There was another suggestion to nix the peep and just use a kisseer button. If the bow's draw length fits you down to a Tee and you practice with kisser this could be a very viable option.

I know I tweak my bows to the nth degree for draw length and have at times held 3" groups at 30 yards with nothing on the string but a nocking point. This with bos that were not even tuned or tweaked to fit me. More or less relying completely on my anchor. Again, it's just what you practice with and get accustomed to.