Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
G5 Striker heads with Striker Magnum blades? >

G5 Striker heads with Striker Magnum blades?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

G5 Striker heads with Striker Magnum blades?

Old 10-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default G5 Striker heads with Striker Magnum blades?

I currently use the standard Striker head in 125 grain but I'm thinking about switching to the Magnums. Instead of buying the Magnum heads, can you use the magnum blades on the standard head? Has anyone done this? How did it affect the flight of your arrows?
Old 10-06-2010, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

I found the answer to my question.

The Striker and the Striker Magnum use the same ferrule. The difference, other than the blades, is the size/weight of the brass O-ring.

The standard blade 100 grain Striker uses a very thin brass O-ring. Using that O-ring with the Magnum blades will bring the head weight to about 112-115 grains.

The Striker Magnums and Magnum replacement blade kit come with a "medium" size brass O-ring. Using those O-rings with the Magnum blades put the head weight at 125 grains.

The standard blade 125 grain Striker comes with the thickest brass O-ring. Using that O-ring with the Magnum blades should put the head weight to about 137-140 grains, if you need a heavier head.

Having said all that, I picked up a Magnum blade replacement kit. I used the O-ring that came with the kit to get 125 grain heads, which is the weight I shoot with the standard blades. They were all over the place at 20 yards. I shoot field points and standard blade Strikers perfectly in sync. Those Magnum blades must bring out any minor tuning issue. I'm not going to worry about it at this point since the standard blades are flying perfect. I love the Striker heads. Very durable. I shot a doe on Sunday at 6 steps. Hit her high and went through the spine but not a nick on the ferrule. Blades were chipped, but that's why I like the Strikers, just replace the blades and you've got brand new heads.

I'll get my bow checked out after the season. I may even upgrade for next year. But, at the very least I'm going to add some new accessories: Ripcord Code Red rest and G5 Optix XR2 sight.

I currently shoot a Mathews Drenalin.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Spike

That's good to know thanks!