HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Question about bow balance & steadiness (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/331141-question-about-bow-balance-steadiness.html)

tealboy 10-04-2010 07:03 AM

Question about bow balance & steadiness

I am curious about something, my mathews Q2 broke a limb and is in for warranty. I borrowed a friends bow, which happens to be a nicely equipped Fred Bear and while I am shooting ok, the thing that stands out is how much more difficultly I am having holding the bow steady. His bow is about 6-8 yrs old and has a split limb design and shoots pretty good but I don't understand why i struggle so much to make a smooth and steady shot.

I hestitate to mention the brand b/c my point is not about my mathews being better or the other being a lesser bow but rather seeking input on what would cause it to feel so unsteady to me. I did add my stabilizer to his bow, the same one i use on my Q2 but I don't get the same effect. Anyway, I can't wait to get my bow back, partly b/c i am used to it but it does feel so much smoother to me and my confidence is much higher.

bronko22000 10-04-2010 03:29 PM

Teal, I know exactly what you are feeling. I had a High Country bow about the same age as you buddy's. It was right up there in the technology of its day. But the technology and bow design IMO has jumped leaps and bounds in the past couple of year. This past year I bought a Martin Cheetah. And after getting it all tuned and shooting it for a while I really did not appreciate the smoothness of the Martin until I pulled out the HC. On the first shot the difference was immediately noticable. The draw, while still OK, was not as smooth as the Martin's. And the release the hand shock was incredible. I never really noticed it until I had shot the Martin for a while. Sold the HCthe following week and he is happy with it.

TFOX 10-04-2010 04:31 PM

My first question is are the MEASURED draw lengths the same?

I am sure it has a different grip design,which you might prefer the Mathews grip.

I have always hated the balance of a Mathews,they just want to fall to 1 side or the other for me.But,you may like the way it balances and the Bear doesn't balance the same,so you are less comfortable with it.

You have gotten used to the way the Mathews shoots.That is the biggest issue for you.

Then there is the "feel" difference,you may just have the bow that feels the best for you.

ModestBuck 10-05-2010 05:20 AM

You may need to compare bow weight on the internet. The bear probably weighs more than you matthews not to mention overall length of bow. I am thinking that these two parameters will require a different stabilizer.

Valentine 10-05-2010 06:59 AM

In the end we're not all groupies

I use what I use and I'm not about to condemn what someone else uses.

I used starter and intermediate bows. Never bought a bow and shot it before buying it. I just judged the balance for me, by holding the bow extended in my holding hand and judging it myself. I didn't judge the name of the bow, but how it fit one individual -me.

One doesn't make all. We all have different draw lengths; different kinds of arms -some are long, some are shorter, some are skinny, some are fat; some are pudgy. A bow might feel better for a 27 inch draw than a 30 inch draw and the reverse. And we all have different physical arm strengths.

Never had a bow that was made form fitting for me. So a non form fitting bow may fit some body forms and not others.

As I said, we're not all groupies.

HoytMT2332 10-05-2010 09:44 AM

I bet if you shoot the heck out of it, you will get used to it.