Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Bows need tune-ups? >

Bows need tune-ups?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bows need tune-ups?

Old 09-21-2010, 03:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default Bows need tune-ups?

I suspect the answer is yes but don't know for sure, nor do I know what my bow may need, if anything, at this point. Once I got my bow set up, tuned and shooting perfectly, I have never adjusted or messed with it. That was 6 yrs ago.

I have a Matthews Q2 with a tru glo one optic sight and a whisker bisquit. The bow is probably a little older than 6 yrs based on when it was made b/c the Q2 has not been made in awhile but I have never taken my bow back for a tuneup.

can you tell me how important this is and what the bow shop might need to do, if anything. It is still shooting very well but the strings and arrow nock loop are original, so that is an area of concern for me but not sure what else may go wrong. Peep still seems fine, etc.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:23 AM
Spike

Well imo you are shooting your best when bow is tuned or in spec . If your bow is that old with same string you might want to check ATA and brace hieght by measuring them and make sure it is where it needs to be . I feel alot more confident when i am hunting when i know my bow is tuned , I would have to mess the shoot up not the bow because i didnt take time to tune . My guess is if you shoot and practice at all over 5 or 6 years it is time to get new strings . I will not go past 2 hunting seasons with same string , but i shoot alot . Good luck this season and check your bow out .
Old 09-21-2010, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

string and cable replaced , would be a good idea , then broadhead tune
Old 09-22-2010, 02:55 AM
Typical Buck

well, it sounds like it is past due. since the season has started and I don't want to take a chance of throwing something out of whack, i'll wait until the season is over. I suspect any changes may need tweaking and I don't want to get stuck in the middle of the season with a problem. Of course, that coudl still happen given the age but the lesser risk may be to use it for the next few weeks and then take it in. Plus, the local bow shop will not be so busy. Anything else i shoudl do while in there?
Old 09-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Spike

If you order some quality strings shoot in time is like 50 shoots or less . Winners choice , bucknasty , proline , americas best , just to name a few . Do you at least wax your strings ? Not to be ugly i just dont want to read a thread " my string blew up , and my limb is sticking out of my arm " . Just keep inspecting your string , and think of it this way . Is a 65 plus dollar set of strings worth my safety ? Good luck this season