Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
crossbow question >

crossbow question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

crossbow question

Old 09-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Spike

Default crossbow question

Hi All: I am new here and would like to thank you for the good forum here. I am a elderly male (67) who is very handy capped. I will be hunting from a closed in lockable blind. I plan on leaving my crossbow in the stand when when I go home for the night. I don't know if I should take the arrow out and dry fire the bow or leave the bow ****ed with no arrow. I am not strong enough to hold the string and pull the trigger to let it off gently.
Any help will be great. Thank you tom33000
Old 09-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Spike

tom33000 here again. feel free to email me as I don't know my way around here and may not find a reply if there is one.
thanks again. tom33000
[email protected]
Old 09-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Spike

I would never dry fire any type of bow wheter being a compund recurve or crossbow it can intitle to some serious damage to the limbs, and as well as leaving the crossbow drawn back it could be dangerous putting the arrow in with it pullback already imo i mean i never shot one so i dont know but my advice to you would be maybe have someone who had the strength pull itback down for you just for saftey hope this helps
kyle
Old 09-19-2010, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

the only safe way to unload a crossbow is to shoot it. take an old arrow with you and shoot it into the ground, reload when your ready to hunt. Never ever dry fire a crossbow, it will come apart FAST!
Old 09-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

Todays Xbows are great but not that great to withstand a dry fire. As others have said to not do that. One sugested shooting into the ground. I would suggest a very cheap target. Change the arrow to one with just a field tip and shoot into the target. Remember to watch the fingers, never place them above the rail. The string will do damage to the fingers if it hits them. You can pm me with questions or just call tomorrow, and I will do my best to help. Good hunting!
Pat
Old 09-20-2010, 08:07 AM
Spike

Default Thank You

You people are very kind and thank you for the helpful info. I have been an avid bow hunter for my entire life untill I lost both rotator cuffs and most of my muscle mass. I thought bow hunting was a thing of the past. I deer hunt with a rifle,but it is not the sport that bow hunting is. Now I can get back to the love of my life again.
Thank you very Much tom33000 AKA Dale