Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
asking for help on why my Thunderheads aren't flying well? >

asking for help on why my Thunderheads aren't flying well?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

asking for help on why my Thunderheads aren't flying well?

Old 09-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default asking for help on why my Thunderheads aren't flying well?

62# Bowtech 38 using a drop away rest, 29" ICS 400 shafts with 125 gr field points that punch very nice paper bare shafts

point on at 20 yards, screw on my 125 Thunderheads and low to the left about 3-4"

they appear to fly nice enough .... adjust the sights and shoot or strive to get field points and broadheads that fly identical?

just the nature of a Thunderhead to hit low and to the left?

sorry, I've not shot compound in 7-8 years really
Old 09-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ranger. please look at the hundreds of other post on this topic (BH vs FT). The causes of BHs not hitting the same POI as FTs is usually due to fletching contact, improper tuning of the bow, or poor form or a combination of these.
Download the Easton Tuning Guide and read it. It should solve all your problems except shooting form.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try and get them to fly better, but you may just have to live with it. Could be arrows or part of the arrows or the bow or a host of different things. Do you want to start buying new stuff and trying different combinations till you find the right mix. Few of my arrows fly exactly the same. One will always go to it's spot and the next to it's but they seldom go to the same one. Pick one arrow and see what it can do. When it hits the same grab another. It probably won't and thunder heads because of their design exaggerate the smallest problems.

I don't try and make mine hit the same because they aren't. I try and get them to fly straight and quiet. If they hit the same fine, if not it's a compromise for a point and a head to hit the same. Why do that? Let'm fly free and happy not held back like some smart kid in a class.

A used head isn't always true anymore and can cause poor flight. Bought 50 THeads a few years ago for just over 50 bucks. Use them a lot. Kind of know about them. They also don't weight what they say they do. The 125 I think is over 130, your point isn't. 6grns. can cause a Thead to exaggerate a drop. Adding weight to the tail believe it or not can lift the arrow.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

Ok, your bow is not tuned! Yeah, it can shoot thru paper just fine, any ft can do that, but the bh has to do it. I think you have a too heavy head for the arrow you are shooting. It is on the weak side to start, and adding weight weakens it. You might get by with a 100 gr head, but the charts say a .340 spine even with the 100gr. A ft arrow will not show up as being weak like a bh does. You have to get the right spine. If you can cut an 1" off the shaft you might be good and use the 100gr tip/bh. I have not found a bow that when I am done bh tuning the ft and bh hits the same spot. Very simple is to follow the ft. If the ft hits to the right of the bh, than move the rest toward the riser, (right hand shooter), if the bh hits below the ft, move the rest up.