HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Norway Fusion fletching help needed. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/328816-norway-fusion-fletching-help-needed.html)

engie 08-30-2010 06:13 PM

Norway Fusion fletching help needed.

Fletched a handful of these vanes on Easton FMJ's the last two years. They don't stay on. Any suggestions if they adhere with a different fletch glue? I use Bohning Platinum glue. I prepped shafts the usual way. Feathers, Blazers, Quickspins all stay on- just the Fusions- they pop off like they don't like the glue.

bigbulls 08-30-2010 07:54 PM

Try one of the instant glues.

From Norway's web site.

We highly recommend you use a cyanoacrylate (CA) adhesive. Superglue is a cyanoacrylate. CA adhesives glue very quickly (within seconds) and require very little in order to establish a great bond.

3Children 08-31-2010 12:32 PM

Sounds like you didn't clean the shaft well enough. Glue is sticking to the vane, that would be the problem. Glue sticking to the vane, you did something wrong. Never wipe the fusion base!!! Scrub the shaft where the vanes are going to be placed with warm soapy water and a soft scrubber, rinse let air dry, and fletch. I would also use like bigbulls said, a better glue!

bigcountry 08-31-2010 12:40 PM

I myself hate the platnum stuff. Guarnteed if you use goattuff, its going to stay.

vvvaaa 08-31-2010 05:38 PM

Regardless which shaft you have wipe the shaft with Lacquer thinner (don't touch after wiping) apply the Bohning Platinum, the fletching will take hold, don't touch the base of the fletching.

When you need to replace the fletching, cut the old off as close to the shaft as possible then wipe with Acetone works very well and fast then wipe the shaft with Lacquer thinner and you are again ready.

engie 08-31-2010 07:51 PM

Sweet, thanks for the help. I'm prepping the shaft correctly- But I will pay closer attention and try the Goat Tuff-- heard some real good feedback on that glue!!
This is why these forums are great. Solid feedback to help a fellow archer. Never did get why some guys like to get on here and argue.
Thanks for the direction and advice.!!!

bigbulls 08-31-2010 08:04 PM

Goat tuff is great glue but honestly there isn't any real difference in any of the super glues other than consistency (thickness) of the glue itself. Some are now available with rubber particles mixed in for glueing inserts though.

I needed some glue just the other day because my son left the cap off of a nearly new tube of AAE fast set gel. :bash: I stopped at the store and picked up some LocTite brand super glue in the "ultra gel control" applicator. This applicator device they use for this glue is amazing. No mess, sits up straight, easy control of the bead, no running or dripping. Awesome way to apply the glue.

bdn3 09-01-2010 11:05 AM

I've used used about every glue on the market and I am now sold on the gorilla super glue.Get the small tubes not the bigger plastic bottles.The applicator tip is the perfect size for doing vanes and as a plus it's made in the USA.I have done several dozen arrows for me and my friendsand have not had a fusion vane come off yet

engie 09-01-2010 07:53 PM

Thanks for the awesome feedback!! I now know what the deal is- and I appreciate the Locktite info- I'll be picking some of that as soon as I can find it (Lowes, Home Depot?) I have a brand new bottle of the larger Gorilla Glue- but I like that suggestion about the smaller tubes- The cashier is going to be wondering what kind of addict I am with all of the glue purchases.
Thanks again

bigbulls 09-02-2010 11:45 AM

I'll be picking some of that as soon as I can find it (Lowes, Home Depot?)
I picked it up at the grocery store. I am sure that Walmart, Lowes or home Depot will have it also.