Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
clarifier   verifier  which one??????? >

clarifier verifier which one???????

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

clarifier verifier which one???????

Old 08-10-2010, 02:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default clarifier verifier which one???????

need some tech help all
i recently decided to update my equipment and am looking into lenses and such i have purchased a 6x lens and am not sure what i need in the peep end
i was told i need a number 2 clarifier but upon recieving it it is very small so my question is

do i need a clarifier or a verifier i will be hunting and also some 3d shooting and i use the same bow for both

i have a 1/4 inch peep so i think i need a 1/4 inch clarifier with a number 2 lens but cant find one if i am correct casn anyone direct me to a seller?
thanks
Old 08-10-2010, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

I believe that specialty archery calls the peep lenses for the hunting setups "verifiers" and the ones for the target peeps "clarifiers"

The verifiers are really just the lens in the screw in peep housing.
The clarifiers are the lens AND a stopped down aperture.

With respect to the power required, everyones mileage varies with respect to that. For some a #5 verifier will work just fine, and for others they may need a #6 or #7 (5=lowest power, 9= highest power).

The only way to tell is to try some of them out, but I would advise to use the lowest power lens combo you feel comfortable with. The higher the magnification of the lens, the less light it will pass and the darker your image will look. Possibly not such a big deal on the 3D course, but could be a 20 minute difference in shooting light at sunrise and sunset.

Now in regards to your main lens, you are certainly the one who makes the ultimate decision as to what works for you, but a 6X lens is awfully powerful for a hunting situation. I think for hunting I wouldn't go with anything more than a 3X.

Just as a data point, my indoor target rig has an 8X lens and #2 clarifier. At 20 yards I don't see any more than the gold center of a vegas face target. That is a spot roughly 3 1/2" in diameter. If I drew back on a deer with that magnification I don't think I would be able to tell which end of the deer I was looking at.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

OZ - I recently got 2 of the Specialty Archery 1/4 hooded peeps and originally got #6 verifiers. My problem was that, without the verifier my pins, especially the red one was very fuzzy. However, with the #6 verifier the pins did gete clear but the target was blurry. I sent the #6s back and got #5 verifiers. Now the pins are still clear and sharp and the target is only moderately blurred but no trouble picking out detail. I don't know your vision deficiencies but I have a difficult time reading type like newspaper without glasses. My far vision however is still perfect. Hope this helps
Old 08-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

98redline, that's close but a little misguided.

Verifiers are for fixed pin sights with no lenses.

Clarifiers are for lenses.

U can get a clarifier in the same number with a larger hole.

U can get them in many sizes.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Drock the verifiers do have lens and range in 'power' from a #5 to a #9.

For a good definition go the the Specialty Archery site:
http://www.specialtyarch.com/

Last edited by bronko22000; 08-11-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000

You misunderstood what he is saying.The verifier has a lens but are used in conjunction with a non magnified sight.

From what I understand,some that wear eye glasses need a verifier.

A clarifier does exactly what the name suggest.It makes a powered lens clearer.

Your link does show the exact peep the OP should look at.Interchangeable system will make finding the right combination much easier but they are a little pricey.

Last edited by TFOX; 08-11-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

thanks all for the advice will look into a bit more
Old 08-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Because I need glasses for reading (far vision is excellent) I am currently using the 1/4" hooded peep with a #5 verifier. This sharpens my pins and the target remains fairly clear. In bright light prior to installation of this system, the red pin looked about 3x its size and blurred. The #6 verifier was just too strong and blurred the target.
I guess the best thing to do is to go to a shop that carries these items and see what works best. Also suggest you try it in a low light condition

Last edited by bronko22000; 08-11-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

What TFOX said

I use clarifiers for target shooting... The super peep is the way to go. U can use either or an try out different ones!

Make sure u serve them in!!! I had a nock break about 3 months ago and my clarifier and peep went flying out of the string I about threw up as I realized that 30 something dollars was in the woods somewhere idiotic mistake obviously, but a lesson learned. Regardless of if your peep stays set without being tied something crazy could always happen(i.e, nock breaking)
Old 08-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Because I need glasses for reading (far vision is excellent) I am currently using the 1/4" hooded peep with a #5 verifier. This sharpens my pins and the target remains fairly clear. In bright light prior to installation of this system, the red pin looked about 3x its size and blurred. The #6 verifier was just too strong and blurred the target.
I guess the best thing to do is to go to a shop that carries these items and see what works best. Also suggest you try it in a low light condition

Red pins blur(halo) even for those of us that don't need glasses.I use only green and orange on my hunting sights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.