Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
100 gr. or 125 gr. >

100 gr. or 125 gr.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

100 gr. or 125 gr.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 100 gr. or 125 gr.

To begin, I've played the game of archery since I could pull her back. I'm 20, shot many deer with gun and bow, but never learned the technical stuff of bow hunting.

I shoot a 2009 Bear Truth 2 at 70 pounds of draw weight.

Since I can remember I have always shot 125 gr. not because it was the right thing, but its because they are the field points my dad always provided me with.

I shoot often and have groups that I am very happy with: around 1.5" at 15 yards, 2" at 20 yards, and 2.75" at 35 and 40 yards.

Whenever I speak to people about point grains, I don't know anyone who shoots 125. Seems like everyone shoots 100s.

So I guess my question is, what is the benefit of higher/lower weight? I realize one will have more penetrating power, but is it worth it?

Will accuracy improve as one shoots lighter?

Will moreenergy be conducted through lighter heads, heavier heads?

Thanks guys, any insight appreciated.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

The more weight up front, the better your FOC. (front of center)

http://www.ubbc.ca/resources/documen...plying_foc.pdf

The heavier the arrow, the better your kinetic energy and the less 'squirrely' the arrow will be. Accuracy does not improve... but you'll have slightly less 'drop'. (lighter arrow = faster. Faster arrow has less time for gravity to affect it before it gets to the target)

I prefer a fairly heavy arrow that's slow but pentrates well and won't drift off in the slightest breeze.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are lots of variables to consider. I shoot 70 lbs also, with 29 draw length. I shoot a WB rest - modified by cutting out some bristles to allow vane clearance. My arrows are 29", 2315 aluminum with helical fletch. I shoot fixed blade heads. I can shoot 125 and 100 gr heads and both fly well.

Your setup and the exact arrow you use may be better suited to 125 or 100, as the head weight affects the overall spine (stiffness) of the arrow. Increasing the head weight decreases the spine. There are lots of charts out there, like the one at Easton's site, to help you select the proper arrow/head weight combination. I tend to pick an arrow in the "middle" of the range of recommended arrows. Getting good flight is what really matters and that may require some tuning of the bow/rest too.

The deer won't know the difference. I get passthroughs with my 100 gr heads.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, replies appreciated.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

With all other things being equal (dr. wt, speed, BH design) the 125 gr will penetrate deeper due to more kinetic energy. That being said I would say shoot the BH that you are confident in and that flies the best. Some guys shoot BHs as heavy as 220 grs. Personally, I shoot 100 gr BHs. I have Slick Trick Razortricks, Magnus Stingers, and NAP 2 blade Bloodrunners and all 3 shoot great. As for the penetration, I believe with you shooting 70# this will not be an issue. I shot a 1000 lb bison last year at 25 yds with a 100 gr Magnus stinger on an arrow with a total wt of 378 gr. shooting a 63# Ross traveling in the neighborhood of about 290 fps. That arrow passed completely through the animal with all but the fletching coming out the far side. This same combo is very accurate too and I was able to take a bobcat at 32 yds which is a bit smaller target than the bison. Your 70# is a lot of weight to be shooting for whitetail and even elk. But if you are comfortable with this weight all the better.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot 60 lbs. with a 29 inch draw. for my field points I use 125 but for my broadheads I shoot 100. For me this has resulted in very little or no drop.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to laugh when people are toying between 100 and 125… 25 gn is not going to make any difference at all.. I shoot 220 gn field tips and broad heads. I like the 21 % FOC.. for 3D I do shoot light because I’m not concerned about K.E.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

i use 100 grn muzzys and they do quite well...every deer ive shot was a compleate pass through and the didnt go much over 75 yards...it all works together, the weight of arrow
the spline the head and weight forward...you find what works best for your bow simple as that,no one can tell how your bow will shoot with anykind of head untill youve done it.if your happy useing what you use by all means stick with it...your takeing the shot not anyone else..good hunting and good luck,,,