Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Why should I get a string supressor? >

Why should I get a string supressor?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Why should I get a string supressor?

Old 07-18-2010, 07:59 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by The Rev
Mark mine do,, when the string twist.. I pulled out a bow I made about six months ago and put on the wrong string and I had about 4 inch brace height.
That might slap your wrist. No string stop is going to stop that.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

So what did we do before they came out with those? I've been shooting for 40 years, and I stand behind what I said... if you popping your hand your shooting the wrong draw lenght or you have really crappy form. I've never had a problem without them. If the cable would travel two inches past a surpressor, the you would split the rubber end of the surpressor.
If you have a problem with string buzz then you need to put on good string silencers.

Arm guards,they have been around for years for this.

Ever notice that some of the best archers in the world at Vegas or Fita field wearing arm guards? I have and it is not because of bad form or too long of a draw length.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bigcountry
That might slap your wrist. No string stop is going to stop that.
I believe that a brace height like that would pop my thumb.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by TFOX
Arm guards,they have been around for years for this.

Ever notice that some of the best archers in the world at Vegas or Fita field wearing arm guards? I have and it is not because of bad form or too long of a draw length.
I use a arm guard on my long bows, but I never with a compound, even when my hunting bows that are an inch longer than what I normally shoot. I agree with loose fitting clothes you can make a noise, but there are ways to deal with that and an arm guard would help in that case.

I'm not against surpressors at all ( some of my bows have them), I just don't think they need to be installed to keep the string from popping your arm.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a arm guard on my long bows, but I never with a compound, even when my hunting bows that are an inch longer than what I normally shoot. I agree with loose fitting clothes you can make a noise, but there are ways to deal with that and an arm guard would help in that case.

I'm not against surpressors at all ( some of my bows have them), I just don't think they need to be installed to keep the string from popping your arm.
In the case of NEED,I agree and I will sometime wear an arm guard with certain clothes just in case.I will almost never need it but that 1 time I do,I am glad I have it.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe that a brace height like that would pop my thumb.
A lot of the old low brace bows would hit your wrist from the string moving side to side as it came back.The string suppressors do help against that.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by TFOX
A lot of the old low brace bows would hit your wrist from the string moving side to side as it came back.The string suppressors do help against that.

I was joking with Mark (Bigcountry) about my brace height too low on a long bow I made, but only because I put the wrong string on it. I check the brace height on my self bows with my fist and a thumb up to make sure I don't need to put a twist on my string.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

A string suppressor will ABSOLUTELY stop arm/string contact...

Rev, you shoot targets right? Probably are well experienced or at least know about back tension and a good explosive shot...

Well, even with my pro-elite with an 8 5/8" bh when the shot would break, the string oscilation(back and forth/side to side) would rub my arm. Im not talking about slap, but rub after it passes brace.

If you would question my form, I'm sure TFOX can attest for me a thousand times that I shoot too short of a draw length, and my form/execution is pretty damn good

Not every bow will hit often, but ones with a lot of feed back and forwards jump(mainly target rigs) will hit the arm after the shot. I've had 2 xforce 6's(original hf, and an 09 GX both with 6"bh), as well as a 5.5" brace height omen and none ever hit my arm, but with a large jacket would get close to coming in between the suppressor and string(eventually sold the omen due to this when it got cold after i killed 2 early season deer with it)

Suppressors sometimes make a good difference in noise and speed, but other bows i've set up have had little difference. The HF6 xforce made a lot of difference in both hand shock, and noise, and also picked up a little over 1fps, while my bowtech guardian had no change in noise or hand shock...

different results for different setups....
Old 07-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everybody's arms are different. I don't get wrist slap and I use a straight arm (no bend). I see many people that needed an arm guard before, don't need one with a String Stop. I have an STS on my bow for 3 years and it works very well, the bow is quieter. I don't even put silencers on my string anymore.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LKNCHOPPERS
Everybody's arms are different. I don't get wrist slap and I use a straight arm (no bend). I see many people that needed an arm guard before, don't need one with a String Stop. I have an STS on my bow for 3 years and it works very well, the bow is quieter. I don't even put silencers on my string anymore.
I use a straight arm as well and if i punch/command the release, I wont ever hit my arm, but when using back tension and pulling through the shot, after the bow jumps forward the string will graze my arm. String stopper on, problem disappears...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.