Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
From .006 to .003 straightness...worth it? >

From .006 to .003 straightness...worth it?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

From .006 to .003 straightness...worth it?

Old 07-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

Most wouldn't notice a differance between .006 and .003
But I agree with bc,you should buy the highesr quality arrows you can afford! That is
if you want the best performence you can get, besides you wouldn't put 87 octane gas in a sports car to try and win a race,so don't cut yourself short when that stag comes by!!
Old 07-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I actually disagree,most will notice a difference when they attach a fixed blade broadhead.Most won't notice a difference when using field points or mechanicals but fixed is a whole new ball game.Of course,the inexperienced may not know they could be doing better.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by TFOX
I actually disagree,most will notice a difference when they attach a fixed blade broadhead.Most won't notice a difference when using field points or mechanicals but fixed is a whole new ball game.Of course,the inexperienced may not know they could be doing better.
True, I've seen some that they wouldn't know the difference if they were shooting a crooked arrow much less the difference between .003 and .006.

Who makes an .006? I don't think I've even picked on up before.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I have to put in my 2 cents I guess. From what I understand straightness is measured on a 28" shaft. So with both a .003" and a .006" shaft straightness averages out to about .0001" per inch. That's one ten thousandths of an inch. That's about 10 times thinner than a hair. I think consistant spine and weight per inch across the entire length of the shaft is more essential. The .003 and .006 IMO is hype. A good quality carbon with .006 straightness and consistant spine will out shoot a POS carbon with varying spine and .003 straightness every time.
On the other hand, I do suggest you buy the best arrow you can afford. Save if you have to. The reason is like stated earlier - you get what you pay for. Bargain carbons will kill deer as dead as quality arrows at 20, 30, and even 40 yds. But if you want to be the best you can be, a high end arrow will give you the confidence and hair splitting accuracy you need out past these distances if you do your part and practice. And not because of straightness but because of consistancy along the shaft and from shaft to shaft.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Valentine
Everybody knows that the inexpert archer is only five minutes away from becoming a pro.

The man who figured that out was a genius.
Wrong, a smart person learns to never be a pro, he just gets better and better. I'd starve to death on what pros make. Been there done that!
Old 07-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Well I have to put in my 2 cents I guess. From what I understand straightness is measured on a 28" shaft. So with both a .003" and a .006" shaft straightness averages out to about .0001" per inch. That's one ten thousandths of an inch. That's about 10 times thinner than a hair. I think consistant spine and weight per inch across the entire length of the shaft is more essential. The .003 and .006 IMO is hype. A good quality carbon with .006 straightness and consistant spine will out shoot a POS carbon with varying spine and .003 straightness every time.
On the other hand, I do suggest you buy the best arrow you can afford. Save if you have to. The reason is like stated earlier - you get what you pay for. Bargain carbons will kill deer as dead as quality arrows at 20, 30, and even 40 yds. But if you want to be the best you can be, a high end arrow will give you the confidence and hair splitting accuracy you need out past these distances if you do your part and practice. And not because of straightness but because of consistency along the shaft and from shaft to shaft.
Although I agree that straightness is hype.nock alignment is way more important.BUT,the most consistent spined shafts also tend to be the straightest.

However,many that advertise .001 are not being completely honest.I'll take ACC's .002 over most .001 arrows on the market.They are straighter and more consistent than most.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:56 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by TFOX
However,many that advertise .001 are not being completely honest.I'll take ACC's .002 over most .001 arrows on the market.They are straighter and more consistent than most.
Exactly. I got tired of it. I keep sending arrows back to the mfg over and over.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by The Rev
True, I've seen some that they wouldn't know the difference if they were shooting a crooked arrow much less the difference between .003 and .006.

Who makes an .006? I don't think I've even picked on up before.
The Gold Tip Expedition Hunters are .006...Are ACC arrows pure carbon? (Probably a dumb question!)
Old 07-20-2010, 05:58 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by natimage
The Gold Tip Expedition Hunters are .006...Are ACC arrows pure carbon? (Probably a dumb question!)

Carbon coated aluminum.