Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
New bow........new arrows? >

New bow........new arrows?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New bow........new arrows?

Old 07-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Spike

Question New bow........new arrows?

Well i am posting here now with hopes of some replies. I recently purchased a Hoyt Alphamax 35, cranked to a scaled 72#, 29.5" DL, 30" 2317 XX78's with 125 gr. tips (total weight 586 gr.). I love the setup but i believe theres more to be had than the 248 FPS im getting now. I have been playing with this thing for two weeks now, scouring the forums looking for a easy answer only to find out there isnt one. I shot the 2317s with good results out of my previos bow but this Hoyt doesnt like them as much. On paper tune they indicate a weak spine (2317s have a 300). I have been looking through Eastons web site and found there Shaft Selector SW but it just tells me i need 2317s as well? I started to look through there charts and found that a 2315 has a stiffer spine (340). Could i try these without fear of hurting the bow or myself or are they too light as indicated by the Easton software? I like the idea of loosing a little weight and gaining a little flatter trajectory without sacrificing too much of the kinetic energy i have now. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-13-2010, 06:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

First of all the spine does not dictate the weight of the arrow that is for the stiffness of the arrow. Anything lower than 5 gn's per inch will damage a bow. Most arrows today meet and exceed that entirely. You can shoot 340's without a worry!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:23 AM
bigcountry

First off, 2317s have stiffer spine than 2315. A .340" spine means they will bend .340" with a spine scale. A .300 spine bends only .3" hense stiffer.

IMO, a .3" spine is too stiff for that bow. You could add wieght to the front or shoot 2315's well.

If your looking for speed, spine is not going to get it. You need to look for wieght. Aluminums are heavier, which I like. If you want speed, get a .34" spined carbon.

Last edited by bigcountry; 07-14-2010 at 10:55 AM.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info guys. I had the wrong understanding of spine all together then. Im thinking of trying some 2315's with 125 gr. tips and see how it reacts then. Not really a weight savings but i figure if i can clean up the arrow flight a bit that'll be nothing but good. Thanks again guys, some great info on this site
Old 07-22-2010, 01:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hi Mtnguy- welcome. I was reading your posts and the responses and I agree with everything everyone said. Also, I'm happy to see you are leaning toward better arrow flight as opposed to speed. We all know speed is worthless without accuracy. I am just curious as to why you are shooting so much weight. I used to shoot 70# and even 80# back when I was young and silly. Now I shoot 60# tops and enjoy shooting 50# or less. With the right arrows and a well tuned bow, 60# is all you really ever need in NA. And 50# is fine for deer and should blow right thru them unless you hit bone. I prefer a cut on contact broadhead when using the lighter weight.