Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Creaking bow

Old 06-25-2003, 08:31 PM
Spike

Default Creaking bow

hey everyone,
I have a Mathews MQ1 and i think it' s awesome but a few months ago i noticed a creaking sound that was sounded like it was comeing from the limbs. it was happening everytime i drew back. I took it in to the archery shop and they neevr could hear the creak. They ended up taking the bow apart and greasing the limb pockets and when i got it back I didn' t hear the creak and the bow shot great again. then a few weeks later it started doin it again. what do you think the probablem may be? I don t think the grease was the solution to the problem since you should have to grease a limb pocket. thanks for yer help
Old 06-26-2003, 04:50 AM

Default RE: Creaking bow

you should have had them change the oil too while they were at it ! years ago i had a browning excellerator than had a creaking noise no one could ever find! but now we have sims products! you do have limb savers on the bow right ? try that next! cause deer can smell grease no matter how old it is! good luck

Old 06-26-2003, 09:02 PM
Spike

I have several limb savers on it and a 4" doinker. Right now it only creaks every once in a while and not on a regular basis. It' s really quite confusing to me. The limbs were checked out for cracks and none were found but i supose there is always the possibility of an internal crack. any other ideas?
Old 06-27-2003, 04:14 AM
Fork Horn

My guess was going to be that the limb pockets needed lubed (grease not oil). Since you' ve already done that (they did the axels too right?) I would make sure the limb isn' t hitting the side of the limb pocket. Had one once that would give a creak every now and then and it turned out that the limb was just touching the side of the limb pocket every now and then. I just loosed the limb bolts and bonked the limb with my palm to center it.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:16 AM

When the shop checked your bow did they check your axles too or just oil them
it' s possible you might have a slightly bent axle.
this happened to me
oil would quite it for a short time,and you would hear it now and then.

good luck
bill
Old 06-27-2003, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I were you, I' d contact Mathews and ask them for their advice, and let them know what you have done so far. If you do have a cracked limb that the proshop didn' t see you may end up with a big problem.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:11 PM

Might sound stupid...But try your cable slide....Thats what mine was...But it sounded like it was my limbs till I changed my slide and it was gone....BTW I would have said lube your limb pockets..But you already did that...
Old 06-30-2003, 07:10 PM

I had this happen once and waxing the string eliminated the noise. Now I wax my string before each shoot....Too much wax on the string is not possible...
Old 07-02-2003, 07:54 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-08-2003, 02:17 PM

I had a Q2 that did yhe same thing,but after the first couple of shots it would stop.Tried oil,grease,lubes,cussing,and nothing worked.Just for yucks,switched the limbs from top to bottom(cams,strings, everthing)and that took care of it.

Quick Reply: Creaking bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.