Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Peak weight not being reached >

Peak weight not being reached

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Peak weight not being reached

Old 05-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Peak weight not being reached

OK all you Gurus out there. I just spent the last hour searching the net to see what the problem is but can't find the answer.
I purchased my new Bengal about a month ago and had the dealer set it up for me at 60# with a 28" draw. (the bow has a DW range of 55-70). I thought I was 'getting used to it' because it seemed to be easier to draw'. I decided to boost up the weight. Well I bottomed out the limbs and hooked it on the scale and came up with a DW of 63.2#. Helllo - Do you think the cables and/or string stretched that far to cause that much change. I probably put about 500 shots through it.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:51 AM
Typical Buck

It's possible. Martin doesn't use the highest quality material for their strings. This equals stretch. Check the ATA and brace height. If they are off then string/cable stretch is more than likely the culprit.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you are using a weights a measures certified scale... I'd check the scale too.... I've seen quite a few variences over the years.

If the scale is good... then either your cable and string are way out of touch with each other... or you perhaps actually have a 45-60# bow....
Old 05-05-2010, 08:08 AM
bigcountry

Not unusual for the cables to stretch. Measure the ATA, get the cable lengths (from Martin) and check em. Might have to twist em up both up a few turns.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was having trouble getting this bow in tune for the get go. I don't know what the problem was. I got a Martin Cheetah a week ago and it took me about 25 minutes to paper tune, walk back and broadhead tune. Everything fell right into place like it was supposed to.
Anyway, I got discusted with this Bengal. Not only could I get it to fly arrows to my liking but it kept slapping my forearm. The only bow that did this in over 30 years. I took it back to the shop tonight and told him to take off all my stuff and I was going to swap it for a Firecat he had on the shelf. I told him I would be there for it on the weekend.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Not unusual for the cables to stretch. Measure the ATA, get the cable lengths (from Martin) and check em. Might have to twist em up both up a few turns.

That's my suggestion too.. I usually have to twist to tweak it just right with new strings.