Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

nocking point

Old 04-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Spike

Default nocking point

Why does Easton suggest that you nock your arrow 1/4th of an inch above being perfectly level? The bow technician at the bow shop I frequent says to nock the arrow perfectly level.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

This comes from the days when people shot off the string and maybe only used one nocking point above the arrow nock. Placing the nocking point approximately 3/16" to 1/4" above square essentially made the arrow perpendicular to the string (level if you want to use that term).

Although level is the preferred starting point for tuning many bows do tune better with the nocking point just a little high, or with the arrow pointed down if you want to say it that way.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BGfisher
This comes from the days when people shot off the string and maybe only used one nocking point above the arrow nock. Placing the nocking point approximately 3/16" to 1/4" above square essentially made the arrow perpendicular to the string (level if you want to use that term).

Although level is the preferred starting point for tuning many bows do tune better with the nocking point just a little high, or with the arrow pointed down if you want to say it that way.
I agree 100%..
Old 04-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

BG beat me to the punch. I agree that this is a starting point. Your particular bow/shooting style may dictate you move it up or down. I usually 'eyeball' my nocking point and rest position then adjust as needed during the tuning process. In fact just two nights ago I set up my new Martin and got really lucky in that no further adjustment was necessary with either.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have never ever come across a bow that tunes with a level arrow. I always initially set up a bow with a nocking point about 1/8th" aove square. Almost all bows will tune with a nocking point 1/16th" to 1/4" above square. The older the bows are the higher the nocking point. They tune this way because the nocking point is not in the center of the string (cam to cam/wheel) and most bows do not have level nock travel to begin with. Dual and binary cams have a more level nock travel than most single cams.

Many times if you hook your release below the arrows nock instead of a loop you will actually have a nock low tune.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:09 AM
Spike

Then, do you guys go to paper tuning your bows to establish the final nocking point?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most folks will agree that broadhead and walk back tuning are more reliable than paper. You can drive yourself crazy shooting through paper.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Walk back tuning is consistent and simple. Use the paper to wrap up Christmas gifts, it will save you a ton of aggravation.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Spike

even though this was not my thread am grateful for the information as I am going to set up my own bow this time. If any of you can give me a hand I would be truly grateful for the technical information. Bought a new in the box, 2004 or 2005 Parker hunter mag and am going to try to do it myself(for the first time in 45 years of archery). This is the same bow I shot for tears and found it to be one of the most dependable bows I've shot next to my Bears and Mathews. If you can be of assistance my email is [email protected]
Old 04-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by randy3oo3
even though this was not my thread am grateful for the information as I am going to set up my own bow this time. If any of you can give me a hand I would be truly grateful for the technical information. Bought a new in the box, 2004 or 2005 Parker hunter mag and am going to try to do it myself(for the first time in 45 years of archery). This is the same bow I shot for tears and found it to be one of the most dependable bows I've shot next to my Bears and Mathews. If you can be of assistance my email is [email protected]
http://www.bowhunting.net/ybc/dingertunes.htm

Check out this forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.