HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Arrow Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/320574-arrow-question.html)

Countryboy27012 03-29-2010 05:02 PM

Arrow Question

Hello everyone! I have an arrow question I was hoping someone could help me with.

I am not going to mention any brand names (I don't want to start a product bash).

I currently shoot an arrow with a straightness of .003 and weighs 10.5 gr per inch. I am looking into getting some new arrows (mostly for practice,) that have a straightness of .005 and weighs 10.6 gr per inch. And I would really like to keep the heavier arrow

My question is: if I change arrows will the straightness and the weight difference between the two arrows affect my POI dramatically? I have my sights dialed in just the way I want them and I don’t won’t to have to keep changing my sights from practice to a hunting situation ( I do a lot of off season hog hunting). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

bronko22000 03-29-2010 06:00 PM

Country - questions like this always baffle me. I don't want this to come off the wrong way, but why would you want a lesser quality arrow for practice and use your 'better' arrows for hunting. My advice is to buy yourself another 1/2 doz of the arrows you are using now and keep them aside for hunting and use your older ones for practice - provided they are in good condition.
Remember practice is to make you a better shot. Shooting a lesser quality arrow is IMO defeating the purpose.

bigbulls 03-29-2010 06:12 PM

Practicing with arrows other than what you will be hunting with is akin to practicing for the Daytona 500 with an Formula car.

If you want to switch then switch. The .1 GPI will is only going to get you .25 - 3 grains added weight and will not gain you a thing in KE or momentum. I will choose the straighter and more consistent arrow every time.

Countryboy27012 03-29-2010 06:23 PM

Why is this such a baffleing question? I never said the newer arrows are a lesser quality, nor did I say that I would be useing my "better ones" for hunting.

The arrows I shoot cost $120 a dozen. A friend of mine is trying to sell some new arrows (name brand, still full length, un-cut) for a really good price. I was planning on getting a dozen of the ones I currently shoot now, but then this opertunity came up. I could help out a friend, and buy his arrows but I was wondering about POI. If these arrows are going to have a significant difference in POI,I would get the other ones. But if they would be comparable, why not kill 2 birds with one stone?

bigbulls 03-29-2010 06:39 PM

I currently shoot an arrow with a straightness of .003 and weighs 10.5 gr per inch. I am looking into getting some new arrows (mostly for practice,) that have a straightness of .005 and weighs 10.6 gr per inch.
Well you clearly stated that you wanted to purchase new arrows that are less straight than your current arrow and mostly for practice.

Why is it so baffling that you received the answers that you did? We answered exactly what you asked.

Yes, the POI will likely change if you change brands of arrows.

kdtanner228 03-29-2010 08:18 PM

ok, here's the thing buddy. =) i understand what you are saying and these guys aren't looking at what is best for you. the difference between those two arrows is miniscule and their poi will be very, very close to the same. you do need to check to make sure that they have comparable spine. but other than that they should be fine. And pleeeeeeeaaaaasee dont ever let someone tell you that practice is all about hitting the dot every time. you dont practice hitting that dot, you practice shooting your bow, your form. form is everything, and arrows have nothing to do with form. IMHO buy the arrows from your buddy, help him out, save some money, practice your form with them, feel GOOD when you robin hood one and shoot your good arrows when it really counts. hope this helps. =)

bigbulls 03-29-2010 08:51 PM

ok, here's the thing buddy. =) i understand what you are saying and these guys aren't looking at what is best for you. the difference between those two arrows is miniscule and their poi will be very, very close to the same.
Really? What's the diameter of the two arrows? Are his current arrows fatter or skinnier than his buddies arrows. Don't know do you? And neither do we.

What spine are the two arrows. Oh wait, we don't know that either.

All we know is that his buddies arrows are heavier by .1gpi and more crooked than what he already has.

If you don't offer up information that will allow people to give an informed answer then what do you expect?

form is everything, and arrows have nothing to do with form.
Form means absolutely nothing with out a proper set up and arrows are a major part of a proper set up. Also a proper set up means absolutely nothing with out proper form. They go hand in hand.

Countryboy27012 03-30-2010 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by kdtanner228 (Post 3604114)
ok, here's the thing buddy. =) i understand what you are saying and these guys aren't looking at what is best for you. the difference between those two arrows is miniscule and their poi will be very, very close to the same. you do need to check to make sure that they have comparable spine. but other than that they should be fine. And pleeeeeeeaaaaasee dont ever let someone tell you that practice is all about hitting the dot every time. you dont practice hitting that dot, you practice shooting your bow, your form. form is everything, and arrows have nothing to do with form. IMHO buy the arrows from your buddy, help him out, save some money, practice your form with them, feel GOOD when you robin hood one and shoot your good arrows when it really counts. hope this helps. =)

Thank You. This was the type of feed back I was hoping for.

Countryboy27012 03-30-2010 06:03 AM

Bigbulls,

I am not trying to start a argument with you. I see what you are saying and agree with you....somewhat. They are a "lesser quality" yes in the term that they are not as straight. I want to use them mostly for practice to keep my form in check. What I am running into now is I have robin hood 1 arrow and have started to shooting fletchings off (cuts your arrow supply short until I can make it to the shop).

The arrows are the same dia. I did check that. The spine, I don't know...I will check into that. These are the questions I was hoping someone would bring up without scrutinizing me for asking this question.

bigbulls 03-30-2010 06:39 AM

Next time post up all available information that you have, such as what arrows you are talking about, and you will get better answers. We can't help you if we don't know.

BTW, I wasn't scrutinizing you. I was giving you an honest answer based on what information that you posted.