Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
shooting better without stabilizer >

shooting better without stabilizer

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

shooting better without stabilizer

Old 04-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well Mr. Cornfed, I rather save my energy for dragging out my buck than to use it up carrying a stabilizer around. If I can group my arrows into tiny little groups without a stabilizer, I sure as heck ain't going to use one regardless of what an "expert" tells me.
So back to the original post. If you can shoot well without a stabilizer - don't use one.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
Man, some folks try to way to hard to justify their opinion as fact.

Who can argue with the greatest coaches, shooters and bowhunters in the world with their proven stabilizer tips and suggestions ???

Only the cyber staff on Hunting Net! LOL!
I shoot to 75 yards with my competition bow ( with 36 in stab, Postem balance bars, 6 power scope, I can thread a needle), but to hunt you don't need a stabilizer at all.
I've shot 3D tournaments where the wind was blowing so hard the first thing everyone took off was the stabs. I hunt with a self made longbow, I don't have a stab.
I've shot with the best in the world, and can hang with almost anyone today. Do don't go spouting off something you have read!
I've spent over forty years in archery, it all depends on the level you want to accomplish and the ability you have. I hunt one place that I have a 12 yard shooting lane, I can shoot without looking through my peep!
What works for one will not work for the other. It drives me crazy when I see someone shoot that doesn't point the thumb down but that just my preference. If it works for them and they bring home meat, more power to them.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile Another professional opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XfTHGiIn8E&NR=1
Old 04-04-2010, 04:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Brasshead
I have been bow hunting for many years but I don't shoot 3-D just practice before season kind of guy. I just changed to a wisker biscuit from a QAD. My groups at 20 yards were about 2-3 inches I was not happy with the switch. Then I removed my stabilizer and every thing improved! My groups shrank I hold the bow more steady and now I'm splittin pine cones at 30 yards. The only draw back is the bow is noisey now compared to before. What would be a good stab that will suck up noise and be light as possible.

Oh by the way the stabilizer was a NAP shock blocker and the bow is a Missions X3

thanks
Maybe a sims s-coil ,seems alot of people using that one.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:03 PM
bigcountry

Oh my gosh, you got to be joking me. You mean to tell me there is actually a pro shooter who wants a balanced hunting bow?????? You mean to tell me he is going against the grain of all those olympic and field target archers????

What in the world will "Ill cornfed, just got his first hunting bow", going to do now???

I agree with this man 100%. Its a hunting bow and thats whats its supposed to do.

I have a feeling illcornfed has a DXT, a bow that cannot be balanced because they didn't put a backward stabilizer fitting on and it wants to fall forward.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Totally agree, but we all know... He is the man. Not a Joe shooter so it's kinda hard to compare apples to apples...

I am against the grain for most hunters although I won't preach it! I use a hinge release, as well as a fairly long end heavy stab for hunting. I hope for the best in situations so I do have a setup to where if I want, I have the stability an confidence in my rig to shoot as far as I feel at the time... BUT we all know this rarely happens and to plan for perfect is foolish.

This argument is ridiculous in the fact that it doesn't matter what it takes to balance your bow. In fact I'd say 95% of the guys hunting and shooting couldn't tell the difference anyway bc of lack of experience so shooting what works is what is best...

I did take a 24" stab into the stand last year bc I wanted to kill a deer with a target setup just to say I did and that there is a difference between good shooters, and good shooters as well as good hunters. Tfox can attest for this as I was huntin on his farm and actually drew back on a nice buck. He was at 50 and I didn't feel it so I didn't let the arrow fly.

There is major differences between target and hunting, but someone with an open mind can be a master of both... I try to apply the best of my target skills and use what I can to make my hunting better. I was first a good hunter tho

so in short, shoot what helps you shoot best, an what is best for what u need!!!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi0-Y_PkkLc
videos of my target setup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nHKLDgdPVg
Some pics of my previous years hunting setups... Much cleaner and simpler, but conceptually, the same thing b/c both systems work for what they are for...

There are many setups for different things. Find out what works for what your needs are. You have to experiment a bit to find out the best way.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by drockw
There are many setups for different things. Find out what works for what your needs are. You have to experiment a bit to find out the best way.
Very well said, Derek.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry

I have a feeling illcornfed has a DXT, a bow that cannot be balanced because they didn't put a backward stabilizer fitting on and it wants to fall forward.
I wonder if you shoot a bow as well as you shoot off your mouth ?!?

I'm betting instead of actually being a serious hunter you're some armchair wannabe, some little pencil neck geek that only great in his OWN mind ?! Thats why you hide on this forum with hardly any members.... you wouldn't dare shoot your mouth off on a large forum filled with the best archers AND bowhunters in the world! You may thing you're a God amoung insects on this forum.... but it would appear that you really need to get out more ???

BTW, this is MY rig....

Old 04-08-2010, 07:58 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
I wonder if you shoot a bow as well as you shoot off your mouth ?!?

I'm betting instead of actually being a serious hunter you're some armchair wannabe, some little pencil neck geek that only great in his OWN mind ?! Thats why you hide on this forum with hardly any members.... you wouldn't dare shoot your mouth off on a large forum filled with the best archers AND bowhunters in the world! You may thing you're a God amoung insects on this forum.... but it would appear that you really need to get out more ???

BTW, this is MY rig....
Lets do some math here. First off, you shot off your mouth, I wrote back exactly what I meant. You of course just sat here and took pop shots behind your computer. What I said was this.

Here is what I clearly explained. Yes I know plenty of field target shooters and archery coaches. So yes I got plenty of backup
1.) Huge stabilizers are great for target shooting. Espeically when one learns the disciplines of proper grip and follow thru
2.) Stabilizers are useful for hunting bows as long as it balances the bow
3.) Target archery isn't bowhunting and vise versa and should not be confused. Every field archer I know agrees.
4.) Stabilizers are fine for hunting rigs as long as it does not encourage the shooter to grab/torque the bow in situations like treestand. But more often then not, espeically new shooters tend to develop bad habits. And hense the need for garbage like a sling.

Instead of sitting there like a internet tough guy, debate what I said. What part is wrong.

Then you run your mouth again like a 12 year old that I have no backup. Ok, a poster shows you a video from hoyts pro staff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XfTHGiIn8E&NR=1

Again, you won't address post and actually debate it. You just sit here and call people names, and contribute nothing.

Then you have extremely experienced archers like Bob, (the Rev) who posted to you. Again, you decided to skip anything he says and go on with childish name calling.

Yep, I called your bow pretty close. Lots of crap hangin off of it with a big goofy disc in the front. Imagine that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.