Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
I am so sick I wanna puke, dry fired my Hoyt >

I am so sick I wanna puke, dry fired my Hoyt

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I am so sick I wanna puke, dry fired my Hoyt

Old 03-09-2010, 05:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Run a cotton ball over the face and sides of the limbs... if there's ANY splintering or delaminating, it'll pick it up.

I'd tear down the bow as well and roll the axles on a flat countertop to ensure they're not bent in the minutest amount as well...
Old 03-17-2010, 06:34 AM
Spike

Good way to get hurt !!! How can u forget to put an arrow much less not see it in the bow !!!!!!!!!????
Old 03-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Spike

happens to the best of us. especially at 3-Ds.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Greg / MO
Run a cotton ball over the face and sides of the limbs... if there's ANY splintering or delaminating, it'll pick it up.

I'd tear down the bow as well and roll the axles on a flat countertop to ensure they're not bent in the minutest amount as well...

Agree with Greg on the axles.
If they're bent, which 95% of the time they are, they can cause premature wear on your cam's bearings and wallow out the drilled holes in your limbs.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im there with BC and Meanv... Check the axles! Hoyt isnt know for having the straightest axles anyway as of a few years ago. Also, check the cables for broken strands. Be leary of that more than anything b/c there could be one hiding under serving.

I derailed my shop bow (xforce Gx7) last year while checking the cam timing. The bow was A ok after I tore everything apart. Apparantly a strand was broken b/c about 3 weeks later kaboom at full draw. Broken cable...
Old 03-27-2010, 04:06 AM
Fork Horn

I dry fired a bow once,it looked fine no hair line cracks or anything.It shot great for about 2 weeks then the top and lower limb's cracked,bow didnt explode or anything but i knew it was from the dry fire.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good info here on this subject. Although I have not dry fired any bow yet.. I know it can happen even if some one else is just looking at it and it slips out of the release it can happen. I will keep this info for the just in case it happens to me list..