Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Kinetic Energy vs Velocity question >

Kinetic Energy vs Velocity question

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Kinetic Energy vs Velocity question

Old 03-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Kinetic Energy vs Velocity question

I have used the following calculator to establish the following settings.
http://www.backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/tools.php

I'm using a Beman MFX 400 arrow and a Mathews Drenalin 60# bow. What setup do you think is better for me for hunting whitetails?

Currently:
405 total weight arrow (100 gr tip)
draw weight 56#
FOC is 8.2%
approx arrow speed 255fps
KE 58.7

Considering:
455 grain arrow (adding 50 grain insert)
increase draw weight 60#
FOC is 12.3%
approx arrow speed 248 fps
KE 62.4

Current set up is 2.8% faster
New setup will have a 6% higher Kinetic Energy
Old 03-07-2010, 04:26 AM
Fork Horn

I prefer heavier arrows myself, I have not weighed my arrow but I bet mine is getting up there towards 455 grains. I hunt in the woods for whitetail deer, 40 yards is the longest shot I will take and I have trees ranged so I know the distance on each shot for the most part. I am not worried about speed for trajectory. That much little of an increase in speed isn't going to assist you much if he jumps on the sound of the shot. I also prefer the heavier arrows because they are more quiet due to less oscillations produced by the bow, and this causes there to be less handshock too.

I have no experience adding inserts though. I read somewhere that you really want like a 7-10% FOC for hunting. But I don't think 12% is that high, I have also read somewhere else that 8-15% is good too, so who knows.

You will be alright either way you go, if you are shooting good with your rig right now I would be inclined just to stick with it. Sometimes changing things creates all new problems to deal with.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pick the one you like. Either produces much more KE than necessary for whitetail hunting. They aren't big boned critters like Elk, moose, or bison.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Spike

haha your math is pretty solid dude! i like to see that. Take your pick. either of those setups will work very well. if you are like me, change and experimentation is what makes archery so much fun.........so have fun with it and find the setup that you are most comfortable shooting. =)
Old 03-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

The arrows did not seem to shoot any different really so I decided I'd rather have the extra slam when the broadhead hits than the extra speed. Therefore I have converted all my arrows to option 2, a heavier arrow and higher poundage.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMO you might lose a little more than 7 fps adding 50 grains of arrow weight.

No Big deal! I'd still go with the higher FOC and heavier arrow.

Dan