HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   what bow to start with (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/31860-what-bow-start.html)

Jedburg 06-17-2003 07:00 PM

what bow to start with

I need some suggestions. I want to start bow hunting but dont know what bow I should start with. I have seen package deals where you get the bow and all the accessories with it. I would like to keep the cost to around $400.00 if possible. The three package deals I am interested in are as follows: PSE Baby-G, Parker Hunter Mag, Pearson 440 Quad. Which does anyone recommend or is there a bow I could buy by itself and add the accessories of my liking for about the same price. Oh, there is a dealer 2 miles from my house that sells PSE and Parker. This could be very beneficial. HELP!!!!!!!! The season is Drawing near.

rochelle 06-17-2003 07:13 PM

RE: what bow to start with

Id look at the Pse thundrbolt or mabey a more forgiving bow then the baby g...Look for one that is comfortable to shoot and is accurate...When your hunting thats all that counts. dont get caught up in the speed craze because it makes little difference in the deer woods.Pse also makes a bow called the nova..Its easy to shoot and alot of deer have been killed with it..Hope this helps

Hawgz 06-17-2003 10:38 PM

If your just starting out stay away from the Baby G.....The Parker or the Pearson should do just fine...Good luck whatever you decied

jsasker 06-18-2003 05:22 AM

If you are just starting out i would get a longer axle to axle(38to40" ) and try to keep the brace height to at least 7" .JMO.

Jacko 06-18-2003 07:07 AM

Won' t go wrong with the Hunter Mag or 440 quad. Shoot both bows and then decide. The guys are right about staying away from short ata and short brace heigth bows. I shoot Parker bows and don' t have a problem with them. Light, fast enough, quiet, and accurate. Check out the Hunter Mag Outfitter package, you get quiver, 4 carbons, sight, rest, peep, sling, and its ready to shoot for about $420. Good luck.

ijimmy 06-18-2003 07:10 AM

I' ve seen some of those parker package bows go out of my local pro shop and you definately get your monies worth , First bow I started with years ago was a pse I' ll never get another , but thats me they may work great for some pepole . I would not want to start out with a short brace height bow like the baby g , nor would I recomend it to someone for a first bow .

Red Hawk 06-19-2003 02:21 PM

First off that is cool that you are interested in bow hunting because i am as well. I just put a Hoyt on layaway a couple of days ago. The owner of the shop knows that i am new to the hunting/shooting with bow and he recommended the Hoyt. i have the receit i just have to find it, i honestly don' t remember the name of the model, just the make. I shot it the first day i put it on payment on it and even though the pin sights were off i still had fun :D Cant wait until its sighted in and i can take it home