Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Installing String Leeches hard or easy? >

Installing String Leeches hard or easy?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Installing String Leeches hard or easy?

Old 06-13-2003, 09:28 PM

Default Installing String Leeches hard or easy?

How hard is it to install the Limb Saver String Leeches? Thanks
Old 06-13-2003, 09:33 PM

Default RE: Installing String Leeches hard or easy?

Easy if you have a press or a string separator

Just split the string in two, slide in the leach and throw a few serving knots on either end.

Then shoot and repeat the process the next day[]
Old 06-13-2003, 10:15 PM

those things wouldn' t stay on for nothin in the world. and when one or two would stay on then one of the arms would break off.

i guess thats what happens when you shoot with the power of a HOYT
Old 06-14-2003, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

I have had my original leeches in for over 2000 shots, and they seem to be fairing pretty well. I did loose a bit of the arm on the top leech around the 1000 shot mark but it was not significant enough for me to remove and replace it. Since that point I have not noticed any other wear problems.

FYI, I have my leeches pushed up to within about 1" of where the serving for the cams begins, and a single serving below to keep it in.

I think that if/when my leeches go south I will give the speed spiders a try.
Old 06-14-2003, 08:32 AM

Like others have said, they are easy to install. I think that they get a bad wrap for no reason. I had them in my Hoyt last year, and I shot probablly around 5,000 shots with them before they flew off. I didn' t serve them in at first and they were perfectly fine. I then decided to see if it helped when I served them in and a few dozen shots later, they flew off. I don' t know if serving them in is what caused this, but, they showed no damage before that. They never moved when they weren' t served in, so, I would suggest to everyone that you don' t need to serve them in.

They are by far the best string silencers that I have used. Those things knock out the sound VERY nicely. String vibration is also reduced greatly. I have used cat whiskers, and, although I like them alot, I think that I will stick with my String Leechs.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can also install them without a bow press by drawing the bow partially back and sticking a pen in the cam to prevent it from returning all the way back. This will remove enough pressure off the string to easily install leeches or peeps.
Old 06-14-2003, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

simply get a sharp pencil and push it through the center of the string, install the leech remove pencil and lash the string down tightly around the leach with dental floss the same way you would tie in a peep.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:51 PM

I necer tied my leaches in my string and they have lasted about 1800-2000 shots and are just now breaking up. They lasted longer than any others that I know personnally. They are easy to put in and work great.
Old 06-15-2003, 04:34 AM

[8D]I have used the string leach since they first came out, the mdesign and material has been much improved this year, I use to tie them but found out that was causing them to break way before they should, now I can get 3000 to 5000 shots at over 300 fps on my Bowtech and have been very pleased with them. You need to position them so that they aren' t slapping into any other cables and it is much easier if you use a press to put them in the bow string that way you can see the position it will be in when you let off the press you may to move it, they won' t move in the string once you have it out of the press the strings own pressure will hold it in place.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:38 PM

that must be the trick -- not tying them on! every one of mine would break off

Quick Reply: Installing String Leeches hard or easy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.