Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Can't get a tune, please help >

Can't get a tune, please help

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Can't get a tune, please help

Old 01-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Spike

Default Can't get a tune, please help

Hey guys, I have no problem paper tuning my 2 bows. I'm trying to tune my brothers 09 parker vanguard and cannot shake a high (2-3") tear and slight right. 70lbs, 29" draw, d-loop, cabelas carbon 400 arrows through a whisker biscuit.

I have tried different arrows, put a different rest, thought maybe it was fletching but shot a bare arrow and same thing. I checked tiller, made sure that the arrow(nock) is 90 to the rest and nothing.

I'm not sure what to try, paper is saying to lower nock but higher rest and they has not changed the results no matter how much I move it.

thanks for any suggestions, I wanna try to fix it before I have to bring it in.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

to many pounds?...arrows are to light? maybe the arrows are crooked? i heard someone say they left them layin for a spell and they were slightly warped(different thread)
Old 01-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

What kind of rest are you shooting? It sounds as though it is hitting the rest. If you are using a drop away try turning your nocks to a different position. I never paper tune, I have found that no 2 people grab a bow the same or with the same amount of pressure so....I don't. Walk back tune, bh tune shoot for longer distance to get my rest exact and I am done.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Spike

Check the tiller also. One limb might me weaker than the other. Just because the tiller is same doesn't mean it ok. Tiller is the distance between the back of the limb, just outside of the limb pocket, and the string. If the bow has a different sized cam and idler wheel combination, you will need to tie a thread from one axle to the other and use this as your reference when measuring tiller. In most cases, equal tiller will produce the best arrow flight and accuracy, but you can sometimes change the way the arrow comes out of the bow by adjusting the amount each limb bends when you draw the string. You do this by adding or removing turns from just one of the limb bolts, effectively making one limb softer than the other. Tiller tuning is dynamic and relies almost entirely on trial and error.

Last edited by Mike L; 01-02-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

do what???

Originally Posted by 3Children
. I never paper tune, I have found that no 2 people grab a bow the same or with the same amount of pressure so.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Spike

I have already adjusted tiller, tried different rests, and other arrows.

Just found this site, maybe it's the cam rotation?
http://www.mikes-archery.com/id26.html step 3, 2nd half.

Not really sure how to put twists in the cable or where exactly to, is this something I can do at home w/out a press?

As wrong as it sounds, I installed my peep by drawing back the bow on the ground while sitting and had someone then seperate the strings.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Spike

Also I always paper tune to start with and I adjust to this.

Tail high
1. Check cam timing
2. Move nock point down
3. Check fletching clearance, rotate nock

Tail low
1. Check cam timing
2. Move nock point up

Tail left
1. Arrow spine may be too weak. Try using stiffer shaft, lighter point or reduce draw weight

Tail right
1. Arrow spine may be too stiff. Try using a weaker shaft, a heavier point, or increase your draw weight.

This is to get me close before the real tuning starts.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you tried a new nock point? If I were having this much trouble I would strip the string and reset my nock point and put on a new D-Loop. Then put the rest on, level things, set centershot, and see how it shoots then.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:15 AM
Fork Horn

I was having a similar problem using a whisker biscuit and blazers. I was hitting cable. So instead of messing around with my whole setup (which it seems like you already have) I twisted the nocks on my arrow about an 1/8 of a turn, which gave me clearance from the cable and didn't otherwise negatively impact the flight.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Spike

I wish I had the OT2 software, but I'm too ceap! Are all the arrows your shooting a 400 spine? I don't know much about that bow as far as how aggressive the cam is, but if you've already changed the rest from a WB to something else I would say your shooting an arrow that's too weak in the spine. JMO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.