HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Please help-considering switch to two cam (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/313711-please-help-considering-switch-two-cam.html)

wvdeerhunter22 12-29-2009 04:23 PM

Please help-considering switch to two cam

I am considering trying one of the new 2-cam-hybrid-binary or whatever cam bows. I have not decided on a brand, but my problem is that i dont really understand these systems. Regardless of the brand.

I have only ever shot a single cam. I am worried about timing issues. I read somthing about setting the top cam to hit before or after the bottom or somthing, it sounds complicated enough that it is deterring me. I use my bows to hunt and dont have problems with tuning a single cam, but I am not looking for somthing I have to worry about cam timing all the time.

I have heard that these bows "cant get out of time" is that true.

Any help and info is much appreciated.

3Children 12-29-2009 04:48 PM

Any bow can get out of tune. The new Darton has the only true two cam bow out there with there new Pro 3800. As for as any bow today it is a fairly easy fix to time the cams. Just buy from a pro shop that you know you can get service after the sale. If I may add to help, when and if you get one mark the cam where the string comes off and when you see that is different have it retimed-a tune up, and all will be ok. BTW that could be a couple of years, depending on how much you shoot.

Fieldmouse 12-29-2009 08:00 PM

Oneida Bow. Very fast, very simple, and very smooth shooter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Compound-Bow-C-P...item1c0ef95aa9

This one is climbing up there but it's fully loaded. It's $1000 brand new. Benifits, no string silencers needed. No stabalizer needed. When standing at the ready, ie when the hour of bucks early morning late evening, bottom limb can slip into and out of your front pocket to go from resting your arm right into shooting position with in seconds.

blacktail4ever 01-13-2010 10:40 PM

check out the mathews monster series I shoot an Xlr8 and its sweet real flat shooter.they have thenew avs cam system the video is on there website. they have solved the timing issue on duel cams hoyt has a good dual cam to.

JOE PA 01-15-2010 02:05 PM

Not really a problem.

None of the systems you are talking about are a problem to keep working well, though any bow, including single cams, can get out of tune. The important things are a good string/cable set, and someone who understands the system. If you have a bow press, that could be you, with a little research and practice. True dual cams are not the problem a lot of '90s media BS has made them out to be. You can easily feel when they are a little out of synch. Twist a cable a little, and it is back, and usually stays that way. I have an older 2 cam that has Winner's choice string/cables, and it stays in synch for a year after initial setup. Hybrids? Hoyt type hybrids need to be synched much like true duals, but again, they stay put once you get them set. The slaved duals (binary cams) need to be synched too, and this should be done at full draw, so it can be a little trickier. One thing about them is they have a very "locked in" feel at full draw, which can be nice when hunting. They are not something to be afraid of, just something to learn about.:biggrin:

bigbulls 01-15-2010 05:33 PM

The new Darton has the only true two cam bow out there with there new Pro 3800.
What? The Pro 3800 is nothing more than a binary cam system. It's the same cam system what Bowtech used on the Air Raid last year.

The problem with dual cam systems is poorly made strings and cables. Poor strings will allow the cams to get out of sync with each other and allow them to over/under rotate. With quality strings and cables they are not a problem what so ever to keep in tune. Fortunately, most all bow companies are now using excellent strings and cables on their bows. I find that the binary systems require very little maintenance to keep the bow shooting at peak levels.

What many people do not realize is that a single cam system will actually get out of tune much quicker than a dual cam system will. They only think, because of marketing, that a single cam always stays in tune. This couldn't be farther from the truth.

3Children 01-16-2010 08:39 AM

Just to clear things the Darton is NOT the same, check the website it has a new patient # on it. The top and bottom cam is the same, and to my knowledge no one other mfg has that. The Bow Tech cam is licensed through Darton, so is some of the PSE cams, Hoyt cams, and a lot of others. This set is different from the standard cam and 1/2 binary, that is why there is a new patient #.

bigbulls 01-16-2010 11:02 AM

3children, I have looked at the cams, I know how Darton gets the patents. It isn't because he designs them I promise you.

It is the same cam system used on the Air Raid. Though the look different with different cut outs and a slightly different shape they function exactly the same way. They are both binary cams with a split yolk attached to the pay out lobes to equalize cam lean.

Bowtech, Elite, Mathews, Darton, Martin, Parker, and a host of other manufacturers make dual cam bows. Whether they are the original dual cam designs with split yolks attached to the limb tips or a binary cam on one type or another.

blacktail4ever 01-16-2010 01:57 PM

Check out mathews AVS technology there is a good system
on the monster

kevin1 01-19-2010 04:46 AM

What are you hoping to gain over your current bow? Are the potential problems worth the switch? Sometimes the devil you know... :s4: