Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Peeps! Peeps! Peeps! Need advice! >

Peeps! Peeps! Peeps! Need advice!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Peeps! Peeps! Peeps! Need advice!

Old 12-16-2009, 03:30 AM
Spike

Default Peeps! Peeps! Peeps! Need advice!

I have a three string peep on my Bear Lights Out. It is the peep that came with the package. There is always a string in my line of sight when I draw and I keep having to use the tip of my nose (or tongue) to twist the string to get a clear view. I want to change the setup, but wanted to hear what you bow veterans think. I was looking at the G5 Meta Peeps and the peeps with the tubing. Any info would be great. This is all still real new to me. Got two down this year though (pat on the back).

What size peep should I look into?

Do you guys like the peeps with the tubing?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Give the Fletcher peep sight a try. It's made of aluminum and it's shape won't distort. No silly tube, no string in the way! Gotta luv it.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by early in
Give the Fletcher peep sight a try. It's made of aluminum and it's shape won't distort. No silly tube, no string in the way! Gotta luv it.

This is exactly right. With today's quality strings and loops the "3 string" peeps are pretty much obsolete other than some older models etc..

I like the Fletcher Tru Peep over the G5 after trying a couple G5's Meta. I never had one elongate but I've heard many have. I didn't like them because of the shine inside the peep itself in certain lights. I took a sharpie and colored the inside black to break that down.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

I'll 3rd the Fletcher Tru Peep. I'd look at one in the 1/4" size for a hunting peep. If you don't have the ability to press your bow on your own it can be a little work getting it to turn just rt. if you have to add or take a twist in your string.

Dan
Old 12-16-2009, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure what the quality of your strings are, but if they aren't GOOD QUALITY strings, which I suspect Bear Stock strings likely aren't, I'd recommend a tubed peep in 3/16." At 29" it almost perfectly encircles my pin housing which helps to get me to a consistent anchor. If you have good quality strings, then go with the fletchers, but if not, you may be very frustrated.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OHbowhntr
Not sure what the quality of your strings are, but if they aren't GOOD QUALITY strings, which I suspect Bear Stock strings likely aren't, I'd recommend a tubed peep in 3/16." At 29" it almost perfectly encircles my pin housing which helps to get me to a consistent anchor. If you have good quality strings, then go with the fletchers, but if not, you may be very frustrated.
Although I have an exteme dislike for tubed peeps that's what I'd recommend, too, at least for a while. If you know how to TRAIN a peep and get it to roll to the same location every time then maybe try a tubeless peep. There isn't much difference between the Fletcher and G5 except that the Fletcher is machined aluminum and the G5 is machined magnesium. The G5 costs a lot more (I've got one) and if black is needed to cut down on the internal glare you may as well get the Fletcher to start with.

If and when you replace the string.cable I'd recommend getting from a good aftermarket string maker and then you can definitely do away with the tube peep.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:34 PM
Spike

I use a fletcher in my lights out a 3/16. Great for hunting and 3D. No problem with string twist. I still use orignal strings too. I shoot about 20 arrows everyday.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:44 AM
Spike

First off, congrats on the 2 kills this season! As far as what peep, I would have to agree with some of the others who say to use the peep with tubing untill you gain more experience and are able to put a "tubeless peep" in a rig that has a quality string so you don't have any peep rotation problems. You'll probably loose a few fps. on your speed and your bow will be a little louder, but it's not a major difference. I use a G5 meta 1/4" on my bows, and have not had any problems with the peep elongating (don't see how that could happen unless something was dropped on it), and I just use a "sharpie" to darken the inside of the peep ring.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with some, but hate the tubed peep! After haveing one smack you in the face one time you too will hate them. 3/16" is the most popular, next is the 1/4" and some will go to the 5/16" fletcher is less money and will do whatever the others do. Putting a peep in the string is the easy part, having it come to your face correctly-priceless. That is the only reason I put the tubed units on the new bows with the poor strings that have a lot of twist.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the g5 meta peep @ 3/16". This is my third and I have never had an issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.