Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

under spined?

Old 12-04-2009, 06:04 AM
Spike

Default under spined?

just a question, would a 29" arrow be under spined @ 29" draw. arrows r 6075 carbon express terminators, two inch blazers. i plan on using 100 grain mechanicals. i'm shooting 72lb draw. any thoughts r welcomed...
Old 12-04-2009, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

based on there chart and my experience with them (i shoot the terminator lite selects) you should be fine
Old 12-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

They might spine a little light. You'll never know till you shoot them. If they do there's is no shame in turning the bow down a few pounds to get the best flight out of them.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Spike

yeah thats true, but i haven't cut the arrows yet. so before i have to turn back the bow i was trying to see what info i could get. i found some thing on-line that i tried to get a number for my foc, but it didn't a 2" blazer option... hence why i asked the question. guess i should just do it and if it doesn't work back the bow down... Or could i just drop down the broadhead to 85gr. to make it work?

Last edited by jebo0420; 12-04-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:33 AM
Typical Buck

what bow you shooting them out of? Some types of bows prefer a heavy spined arrow (slaved dual cams) some can get away with a boarderline underspine (single cams). Depends on what your bow likes.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep- what bow is the 72 pounds on? And which Terminators? Unfortunately for many CX shafts in each line (Maxima, Terminator, Rebel, etc) , the camo finish spine weaker for the same size/numbered shaft than the black finish- due to the nature of the camo process CX uses.

Also there is a Terminator "Lite" series (in black and camo with varying spine), as well as a Terminator "Select XP". 2 pretty different shafts with varying weights/spines/specs as well. Though it looks as if CX may be dropping the Term Lite series for 2010 (they have several new arrow shafts they put up on the website I guess by accident a couple weeks back, as they have removed them now)

Sorry for the ramble- 3 cups of coffee already this morning
Old 12-05-2009, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good points made by Jeff and Cartman about the different cams. Harsher cams by nature store more energy in the bow and usually require a stiffer shaft than a softer cam for any given draw weight. That's one of the things that cause variances in spine requirements.

Answering your other question, YES, you could possibly drop to a lighter weight tip if the arrow shows being borderline underspined. It's just not an option I use because it hits the pocket book. With a lot of today's broadheads getting to cost $30 or more for three I think it's so much easier and cheaper to sometimes back the bow down a few pounds and live with it. Especially if shooting 70#.

I know you've heard or read this so many times, but I will repeat. There is nothing walking this continent that 60# won't kill so if you're shooting more than this it's just extra and often unneeded energy. All it does is make the shooter work harder.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Spike

Talking

the bow is a pse stinger, the arrows r just cx terminators "walmart, what i can afford, and never cut so they're 31 1/8..." 72lb was the weight the archery guy at gander told me it was at. ask him if i should back it back to 70 he said not to worry with it, so i've shot it like that since i bought the bow late last year. I should say that this is the first bow i've bought new, and i was in such a hurry to use it last season that i've just throne together the parts that i have. I did kill my first deer with a bow with it, so it shoots well enough to make by, but i was having a problem tuning it to group the way i wanted, so i found this sight, started reading all i could find. "which turned out to be a lot," and now i'm starting to understand what my problems r caused by. if only i knew about this forum sooner. i want to start with a walk back, but before i do i wanted to make sure my foc and spine were good to go first... Oh the board heads i have can be changed to 85gr. so i have that option.

Last edited by jebo0420; 12-05-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now after all this you throw a monkey wrench into the equation. The arrows are 31 1/8" and not 29" as you originally asked. That's lot of difference.

So what is the draw length of the bow? I don't need to know yours. You'll draw back the bow to wherever the cam stops so that doesn't mean anything. What does the draw length of the bow measure?

If you can have somebody merk an arrow about 1" in front of the rest while you are standing at full draw and then measure from the throat of the nock to where ever it's amrked. If the bow's draw length is 29" you may be able to shoo the arrows cut down to 28" or so. This would match the spine much better for the bow.

So maybe get the arrows cut down and new inserts installed. That's something Walmart can't do for you and it may have been included in the price at an archery shop, but it won't be free now. So how much did you really save?
Old 12-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Spike

? i think i may have misunderstood you, the arrows came at 31 1/8" with inserts. i'm going to cut the arrows myself with a drimel tool with composite blade to 29" and do the inserts, thats why i asked if 29" would still be close to under spined. i've been shooting the arrows to long. i just didn't want them to be to short. i'm shooting a whisker biscuit rest that gives me a lot of room to adjust the length. i could get away with cutting them to 28". i guess i'm trying to figure out which would be best, shorter arrow with heavier broadhead or lighter broadhead longer arrow. without having to little foc. bow is set at 29" draw. and the arrows as of now are an inch past the riser

Last edited by jebo0420; 12-05-2009 at 01:11 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.