Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Shooting at 50lbs? >

Shooting at 50lbs?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shooting at 50lbs?

Old 11-28-2009, 07:10 AM
Spike

Default Shooting at 50lbs?

I found a place that has a couple new Bowtech Equalizers leftover that only max out at 50 lbs. I've always liked the equalizers since I have a short 26" DL. I know 50 lbs is enough to kill a deer, but will that be enough to stay consistantly accurate out to 40-45 yds? Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

You ought to check out some of the target shooters somewhere. 50# or a little less was and still may be the norm for shooting Field archery---out to 80 yards.

How about FITA? Not many of these shooters drawing much more than 40# with recurves to shoot way out at 90 meters (100 yards).

So I'd venture a guess and say a 50# compound would be quite capable of good accuracy out at 40-50 yards. Wouldn't you? Poundage has nothing to do with accuracy, unless it's too much poundage---more than the shooter can handle, which is more often the case than too little.

FYI, I have a 26.5" draw and shoot about 45# and can shoot sub 2" groups at 40 yards on good days; 3 1/2" on average days. Just proving it's not how much weight you shoot. It's how accurately you shoot what you have. And for that it's all about shooting form.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

50# out of that Equalizer is close to 60# out of a normal 26" bow. You will be just fine with the right arrow and broadhead.

My wife is shooting a Bear Truth set to about 50#. She is shooting Gold Tip XT Hunter 3555 and 100 grn Nuge Blades. She get as much penetration as I do!
Old 11-29-2009, 04:56 AM
Spike

Do you think the Equlaizer at 50# will have enough penetration with the rage 2 blades to kill a deer at 40 yds?
Old 11-29-2009, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rookie12
Do you think the Equlaizer at 50# will have enough penetration with the rage 2 blades to kill a deer at 40 yds?
Quite honestly, yes. On a regular basis, NO. I just would not take the chance of shooting any mechanical head with 50#. And especially at 40 yards. In fact, you do some searching on here and other forums and you'll most likely find that most experienced shooters would not normally shoot 40 yards at deer, regardless of the power of their equipment. There are exceptions, I guess, those who hunt out west where longer shots are more common, but most people with some experience wouldn't normally shoot that far under any circumstances. Bowhunting is supposed to be a close range sport.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:15 AM
Spike

Well thanks for the advice. I've never felt comfortable taking a shot past 30-35yds (every deer I've ever shot has been less then 20!). But I've always wanted to get to the point where I could take one further out should that monster buck suddenly appear.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:59 AM
Spike

I have an eualizer at 26inch draw. I can shoot accurately out to 60 yards. Long distance shooting is more the archer than the bow. I would suggest shooting the bow before you buy it. Mine has a hump to roll over at the weakest point of my draw cycle, and has very little tolerance for creeping forward. If it feels good to you it is a very fast and accurate bow. Hope this helps.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:26 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I had Rocket Steelheads for my wife before I bought the Magnus. They will work for you. Small diameter with a semi cut on contact tip. Grimm Reaper Razor Tips would be good. But if I were to shoot fixed, I would shoot the Buzzcut Magnus.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

grrr.double posts- and editing posts is a real PITA around here lately. WTF??

Last edited by JeffB; 12-06-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of the former workers at my shop is an older fellow- and he shoots an Equalizer around 50 pounds with a 27" draw and kills plenty of deer with his ACC 3-28s and (IIRC) Montec heads.

Take a look at this evaluation @ 26/50
www.archeryevolution.com/pdf/BowTechEqualizerShortDraw.pdf

That bow is getting roughly the same amount of KE at 50/26 w/ a 350 grain arrow as *I* got with one of my old bowhunting setups when I was first starting out- a Golden Eagle Predator Pro w/wheels at 72 pounds-29" draw, with overdrawn (25.5") 2213s in the 430-440 grain weight range @ 218-220 FPS. I didn't have any trouble whatsoever zipping through deer with that rig and a fixed blade head (Thunderhead 100s).

Well tuned bow- small diameter arrow with decent mass for the poundage (Axis, ACC,ST ST EPIC, etc) and a sharp small fixed blade head should be no trouble @ all with the EQ with well placed arrows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.