Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Pucketts broadheads >

Pucketts broadheads

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Pucketts broadheads

Old 11-04-2009, 02:00 AM
Spike

Default Pucketts broadheads

I am confused! I have shot the 125 and 100 gr. pucketts almost since these were introduced to bowhunting. I have had great luck with them and don't want to switch. I took them out of the package and they shot the same as my field points, that is why I switched to them from my Thunderheads. Used them close to between 12-15 years. I noticed when I shot a bear, and a deer it looked like my arrow was straying to the right lately. I thought what the heck am I doing. I went out and shot a broadhead and on my Hoyt and on my old Oneida Eagle which I still use and enjoy to shoot, they both shot to the right. The Hoyt actually shot high also. Never had a problem with this before. Now I have had to move my sight way to the right. When I look down arrow and rest the sight is way in. It shot fp good and bh to right. I moved the sight and bh are on but it just doesn't look right. Anybody ever have same problem. I have shot open on impact heads and haven't had good results, that is why I always go back to the Pucketts. The old open on impact 90gr. Puckets were junk. When shot some didn't open right causing many wounded animals. I haven't changed anything on my bows to cause this. Anyone ever have same problem. I use the 100 Wedgehead Pucketts. I like that they are already open. Suggestions, not criticism please!!! Have killed many deer and couple bears with these heads.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never heard of em...
Old 11-04-2009, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wedgeheads were def the best of the puckett designs-and I messed around with them one season myself way back when but with the long thin ferrule, they bend pretty easily-as do the blades. If the heads you are talking about have been shot alot-especially zipped through an animal or two, that may very well be your problem.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Spike

Tried a couple different heads did the same thing. What I don't get is it is doing it on 2 different bows. My Hoyt and my Oneida Eagle. 3 1/2" to the right with Eagle and 3 1/2" to right and same high on Hoyt. Used to take out of package and shoot dead on. I like that head have had great luck with them. I used to shoot the 125 Elk Head and they were probably the best I liked but they drop quickly on my bows so I went to Wedgehead for flatter shooting, but gave up kinetic energy. Don't usually pass thru anymore. I see fletch on the side I shoot sometimes. Thanks for reply.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:52 AM
Spike

skeeder1964, What you are discribeing could be a result of a few different issues, or a combination of more than one thing. Initially, it could be both of your bows are tuned the same, but are not tuned correctly. Centershot could be off. Just a 1/32" could be the cause of your problems. Try papertesting first at 4', 8', and 20'. After you are satisfied with that do what's called "French" tuning, or "Walkback" tuning.
Secondly, I would "spintest" your arrows with the broadheads installed. Trust me, it matters allot!
Also, the arrow "spine" is something you should look at. If the spine is not correct then accuracy can not be achieved.
Anything with "blades" or "wings" on it, no matter how small will shoot at a different point of impact unless your bow is properly tuned, your arrows spintested and running true, and the spine of your arrows must be of the proper stiffness.
Lastly, you mentioned that your broadheads are hitting a little high? If the broadhead weight and fieldpoint weight is the same then I would look at maybe your nockpoint being off a little.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Spike

Default Pucketts

Thanks for the advice, have been trying different things. Did move nock on the Hoyt and that did work. I am not getting any whip on my arrow so I hate to move rest out. I moved my sight for now, but I like to shoot field points so might try when I get more time to change rest. Thanks again.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Assuming you're right handed, move your rest to the left just a hair and shoot fps and bhs.

You'll see the bhs coming back toward the fieldpoint groups. Keep adjusting until they are hitting together. Then adjust sights to sight in.

That's all there is to it. You should expect to do this every time you change heads, or arrows, poundage, whatever.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

Also if you have poor strings (mfgs), or they are over 2 yrs old and you shoot a lot, it could be string stretch.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:25 AM
Spike

I am right handed. I did try moving rest to the left and shot both fp and bh ,both moved to the left. I was getting frustrated with the way my aluminum were performing, seemed I was hitting all over the place. I was shooting 2312 aluminum arrows that I have shot for years, but a friend gave me 8 carbon arrows that were already fletched and I was running out of time so I switched to carbon because I was losing confidence with the aluminum being straight. I would have had to fletch more aluminum so I went to carbon. I had to switch to open on impact Wasp head and they shot the same as fp. I don't understand why my Pucketts shot different from the fps, right out of the package they always shot straight with no movement. THey still plane a little with the carbon but only 1/2 what aluminum did. I thought moving rest would work but they both moved to the left. Thanks for trying to help. Maybe next year before the beginning of the season I can take more time and see if I can get it straightened out. Neck and shoulder problems make it hard to shoot a lot.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your problem is your bow is out of tune , start by making sure you cable and string lengths are to spec , then cam timing , then broadhead tuning with a fixed broadhead , you should have no problems with mechanical heads if you can do all the abouve .

Not a big fan of puckets , or any mechanical for that matter , tekans would be my choice if I had to .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.