Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
My arrows hit at an angle every time >

My arrows hit at an angle every time

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

My arrows hit at an angle every time

Old 11-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Question My arrows hit at an angle every time

I can't figure this one out guys. I have my DXT set up with a G5 Expert drop away rest. The centershot looks to be right on by eyeing it up. I have fine tuned this bow with walkback tuning until my arrows hit in a consistent straight line out to fifty yards.

The problem is that the arrows always hit the target with the tail end sticking out to the left. If you stood above it and looked down it would look something like this- /

I'm shooting right on out to fifty yards with broadheads and field points. Should I be concerned about this? The only thing I can think of is that my arrows might be borderline underspined. I'm shooting #70lbs with 28" Easton St Axis 400's. 100 grain tips.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Two things come to mind: Either your target isn't squared up to you as you are shooting.... or especially if you are shooting a bag target.... your target medium isn't consistant.

Neither of which, in my opinion, are anything to be concerned about.

Your arrows will have totally stabilized by the time they are 20 feet off the bow.... so there again... nothing to be worried about.

FWIW though... I do think you are underspined.... or right there near it. But again.... it would effect your point of impact... and of course your flight... but with fletched arrows... they will stabilize before they make it to ten yards.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

Just to rule it out, borrow a couple .340 or .300 spined arrows just to emliminate that. Also check for fletching contact.

In my simple mind the fletchin may stabilize the flight but with an undrspined arrow it would still be flexing. Im probably wrong though. Just an idea.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:13 AM
Fork Horn

These .400 arrows are history after hunting season. Then I'll get them in a .340 spine. I have to get some sprey powder to check for fletching contact. Thanks guys
Old 11-02-2009, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

IM starting to think you have fletch contact or you need to move your rest, if you have fletch contact youll need to do this anyway. I say retune from scracth.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

If spine is an issue why don't you do yourself a favor and your wallet, too, and just turn the bow down to 65# and see what happens. Why buy new arrows. Don't get your brain stuck on HAVING to shoot 70#. It's only a number.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:32 AM
Fork Horn

I'm going to try turning it down and see what happens.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Spike

centershot on a mathews bow is about 11/16 to center of the shaft from the burger hole.Try walkback tuning to get it right
Old 02-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Spike

try bare shaft tuning /i think youll find that will help/it did me/look on internet for bare shaft tuning directions
Old 02-10-2010, 04:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by wis_bow_huntr
IM starting to think you have fletch contact or you need to move your rest, if you have fletch contact youll need to do this anyway. I say retune from scracth.
Good Idea! Many dropaways have issues with clearance and just because it is a drop away a lot of archers will not check for this.

I too agree the spine is on the side of being too weak for a single cam.

Like BG said roll that poundage down and that should tell you if it helps.

Dan