Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
I lost my level on my sight, should I replace it? >

I lost my level on my sight, should I replace it?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I lost my level on my sight, should I replace it?

Old 10-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by The Rev
Think about it this way, a four foot level is better than a two foot level and a two foot is better than a six inch level the level on your sight is no more than an inch. Honestly how good is it? You can tell when you bow is tilted, this should all be part of the form check before letting an arrow fly!

The idea of a longer level being more accurate than a short level is misleading at best.Long levels only give you a better average of the surface it is checking.The most accurate level I have ever used was about 15" in length and was close to a thousand dollars.

On a bow,you are not checking how level a surface is.It is a reference to how you are holding the sights each and everytime.The bow doesn't even have to be level,just the sights and they have to be the same from shot to shot.Of course,setting the bow up so it sits level,or square to vertical makes it much more repeatable to most archers.

Now,as to the question.A level should become part of mosts shot sequence if pinpoint accuracy is ever a main goal.If hitting a deer vital at 25 yards is your only concern,then imo,they really aren't needed.If trying to pick out a spot on the deer and consistantly hitting it is the goal,they are needed.

However,they are not much good if you want pinpoint accuracy and they are not setup square to the path of the arrow in the 3rd axis when aiming uphill or downhill.BUT,then again,if pinpoint accuracy isn't the main goal,then most setups will have them square enough to kill deer effectively,even if not square(3rd axis) to the arrow path.

IMO,most should try and use them if shooting past 25 yards,even for hunting.Especially when using a short axle to axle bow.What happens when not using them,you will naturally tend to level the bow up with the terrain,so if you are on hills,the bow will be canted.

Last edited by TFOX; 10-30-2009 at 07:00 PM.